Faculty / Staff Criteria
To be considered an individual must:
- Be employed by Lourdes for at least 24 months (preference given to full time employees);
- Possess good health and be capable of long and strenuous walks;
- Express a commitment to share the experience with the community;
- Read at least one book on the life of Francis of Assisi and Clare of Assisi, and review other materials placed on reserve in the library;
- Be open to new insights and discoveries;
- Participate in pre-pilgrimage gatherings for the purpose of getting to know other participants and answering questions concerning travel, itinerary, money, etc.;
- Participate in post-pilgrimage gatherings for the purpose of processing personal insights and discoveries;
- Serve as a mentor to future pilgrims;
- Translate the pilgrimage experience into action that impacts one’s service to Lourdes and to the broader community.
To apply, please submit the following:
- A cover sheet that includes: Name, department, e-mail and phone number;
- A recommendation letter from a member of the faculty, staff, or administration;
- A written summary of services you provide to Lourdes (job description, etc.);
- A written description of how the pilgrimage will benefit you personally;
- A 3-5 page narrative that includes a reflection on:
- How the pilgrimage will benefit you personally;
- How your personal spiritual journey prepares you for this experience;
- How the person of Francis of Assisi or the Franciscan tradition has already influenced your life and your ministry at Lourdes;
- How you envision yourself sharing your pilgrimage experience with the Lourdes community, your family and faith community. Please include specific examples.
Please submit completed applications by January 20, 2014 at 5 p.m. to
Sister Ann Carmen Barone (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Dr. David Livingston and Sr. Ann Carmen Barone will name a selection committee to review applications and, if necessary, hold interviews for the purpose of selecting the Pilgrims. Individuals are also responsible for covering the cost of obtaining their passport and for any personal purchases made while on pilgrimage.
Correspondence from the selection committee will follow with information regarding possible interview dates. Participants for the May 21- 31, 2014 pilgrimage will be announced in February 2014.
Questions may be directed to
Sr. Ann Carmen Barone, OSF