Sr. Shannon Schrein
Dean of the Graduate School
Professor of Theological Studies
Shannon was born in Toledo, Ohio and entered the Sisters of St. Francis in Sylvania in 1965. After ministering as an elementary school teacher for fourteen years, she began her tenure as a Religious Studies instructor and Campus Minister at Lourdes College in 1984. She has an A.A. from Lourdes Junior College, a B.A. in Education from Mary Manse College, an M.A. in Theological Studies from the University of Dayton and a Ph.D. in Systematic Theology from Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. While in Wisconsin she taught part time at Marquette University and then took a position as Assistant Professor of Religious Studies at Alverno College. She returned to Lourdes in 1998.
Shannon is the author of Quilting and Braiding: The Feminist Christologies of Sallie McFague and Elizabeth A. Johnson in Conversation, published by Liturgical Press in 1998 and is a contributor to The Saint Mary’s Collegiate Bible. She has shared her love of Jesus and the Scriptures with her students at Lourdes and through continuing education offerings throughout the diocese. Shannon loves to sing and play guitar, to work on jigsaw puzzles and to read.
Sr. Shannon about being a Sylvania Franciscan
- Ph.D., Marquette University
- M.A., University of Dayton
- B.A., Mary Manse College
- A.A., Lourdes Junior College
- External Evaluator to the Religious Studies Program Review, Seton Hill University, April 23, 2012. Produced written evaluation for the Provost.
- Publisher's Review of a Saint Mary's Press College Division Manuscript: Genesis and Evolution.
- Book review: Michael L. COOK, SJ, Trinitarian Christology: The Power that Sets Us Free. New York/Mahwah, NJ: Paulist Press, 2010. for Catholic Books Online.
- Book review: Grace ADOLPHSEN BRAME, The Cross: Payment or Gift? Rethinking the Death of Jesus. Wilmington, DL: Charis Enterprises, 2010. for Catholic Books Online.
- "College Theology Society Annual Report in Horizons 37/2 (Fall 2010): 242-246.
- “May God Give You Peace: A Franciscan View of Forgiveness, Reconciliation and Peacemaking,” The Cord: A Franciscan Spiritual Review 59/4 (October/December 2009): 446-459.
- Publisher’s Review: Baptist Sacramentalism 2. Studies in Baptist History and Thought, Volume 25. Edited by Anthony R. Cross and Philip E. Thompson. Colorado Springs, CO: Paternoster, 2008.
- Life of Jesus in Icons: From the “Bible of Tibilisi” Commentary by Francis J. Moloney, SDB. Collegeville, MN: The Liturgical Press, 2008. pp.150. $34.95 pb. ISBN 978-0-8146-3237-6.
- Faces of Jesus: Christology Enhanced through Artistic Expression. The Graduate School Illustrious Faculty lecture Series, Franciscan Center, April 5, 2013
- “Lent: Prayer and Scripture Reflections”, Our Lady Queen of Peace Chapel, Spring February 27, 2013
- “Women in the Bible: Sacred Voices, Sacred Lives” Life Long Learning, Lourdes University, October 15, 22, and 29, 2012
- Evening of Reflection for Little Flower Parish Council. Franciscan Center, September 26, 2012
- “Portraits of Jesus,” Annual Associates and Sisters Retreat, Sisters of St. Francis, Sylvania October, 2011
- "Introduction to Scripture" Franciscan Studies Program, Saint Louis, MO October, 2011
- "Introduction to Scripture" Franciscan Studies Program, Saint Louis, MO November 19-21, 2010
- “Who Do You Say That I Am?" Religion Teachers Workshop" St. Pius X School November 2, 2010
- "Proclaiming the Word: A Workshop for Lectors" Blessed Sacrament Parish January 18, 2011
- "Eucharist: Mystery of Faith and Love" Eucharistic Ministers, Blessed Sacrament Parish, Saturday May 14, 2011
- "Our Vocational Call" Sisters of St. Francis, January 20, 2011
- "Who Is Jesus in John's Gospel?" Lourdes Life Long Learning, March 24 and 31, 2011
- “And the Word became Flesh” (John 1:14) Bringing the Word to Life in our Lives” Growing in Faith Together, Blessed Sacrament Parish. February 27, 2010.
- “Hildegard, Mystic and Saint: A Woman Ahead of Her Time.” St. Ursula Academy, Language and Literature Class. February 11, 2010.
- “A Lamp to My Feet and a Light to My Path: The Role of Scripture in Forming Faith” Corpus Christi Fall lecture Series: Faith Formation for the Church Today, October 27, 2009.
- “Who Do You Say that I Am?” Lay Ministry Year 2, Diocese of Toledo at St. Rose Perrysburg, OH, November 14, 2009.
- “Images of Jesus” Annual Retreat for the Joy People, Widewater Retrat and Ministry Center, April 19, 2009.
- “The Living Thoughts of Paul” Christ the King Parish Adult Education. April 6, 2009.
Recent awards and/or recognition
- Top Professor at a Small Private University 2013
- Franciscan Federation Peace Award, 2012
- Nominated for Teaching Excellence Award, 2010-2011
- Elected Vice President of the College Theology Society, 2009-2011
- Nominated for the Teaching Excellence Award, Lourdes College 2009
- Nominated for the Teaching Excellence Award, Lourdes College 2008
- Excellence In Education, Ohio Magazine, September 2007
Areas of Expertise
- Systematic Theology