Michael P. French, Ph.D.
Professor of Graduate Education
Director, MED and Professional Development Programs
Associate Chair for Graduate Studies and Professional Development, Department of Education
- Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison - Curriculum & Instruction: Reading
- M.A., College of St. Thomas - Reading
- A.B., University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN - Modern Languages: Linguistics
Areas of Expertise
- Graduate Education – Reading (Regular Graduate Faculty)
- Graduate Education – Curriculum and Instruction (Regular Graduate Faculty)
- Assessment Theory and Statistics
- Neurobiology of Learning
- Comparative International Education – Especially Brazil and Ireland
- French, M. P. (2012). Assessing Candidate Readiness and Presenting the Evidence.
- Rigden, D. & French, M.P. (2012). What’s the Evidence? Create an Inventory of the Evidence. CAEP Conference, Washington, DC. September 12-15.
- French, M.P. (2012). Understanding the Language of Learning. Keynote address at 6th Annual Conference of the Association of American Schools in Brazil. Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
- French, M. P., Carson, R. & Lubig, J. (2012). Data and evidence: Managing, analysing, and interpreting data in the TEAC accreditation system. AACTE Annual Conference. Chicago, Illinois. February, 2012.
- French, M.P. (2011). Reprogramming how we read. Keynote presentation: Ohio Association of Women’s Clubs, Lakeside, OH. July 13, 2011.
- French, M.P. (2011). Our Brains They are a Changing. Ohio Gear-up conference, June 15, 2011.
- French, M. P., Walters, B., Fong, J. & French, E.M. (2010). Moving Beyond the Literal: Enhancing Comprehension Instruction for Struggling Readers Through Focused Art Activities. International Reading Association Annual Conference, Chicago, IL.
- French, M. P. & Bixler, P. (2010). Enhancing Literacy Assessment through Applied Technologies. Association of Teacher Educators Annual Conference, Chicago, IL.
- French, M.P., Walters, B., Scott, R. & Fong, J. (2009). From Simulations to Computer Games: Enhancing Literacies in the Classroom. International Reading Association, Phoenix, AZ.
- French, M. P. (in press). Student Factors Impacting Assessment. In Grant, K. & Golden, S. (in press, 2014). Literacy assessment and strategies. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- French, M. P. (2012). Moving from Books to E-readers—Implications for Secondary Content Instruction. Adolescent Literacy In Perspective.
- French, M.P. & Litton, J. P. (2007). A Community Report: A Tutoring Program Assessment. Toledo Community Foundation.
- French, M. P. & Fong, J. (2007). Exploring Multiple Literacies with Computer Games. International Journal of Technology, Knowledge, and Society, Volume 4 #5.
Recent awards and/or recognition
- President, Faculty Senate (2011-2013)
- Editor-In-Chief, American Reading Forum Yearbook
- Graduate Faculty Scholarship Grant, 2010-11
- Faculty Excellence Award, Nominee, 2007-08