Nance S. Wilson, Ph.D.
Director of Middle Childhood Education
- Ph.D. University of Illinois at Chicago, Curriculum and Instruction: Language, Literacy, and Culture
- M.Ed. University of Central Florida, Reading Education
- B.S. New York University, Elementary Education and Secondary Education Social Studies
Areas of expertise
- Middle Childhood Education
- Literacy Education
- Children’s and Adolescent Literature
- Reading in the Content Area
- Wilson, N.S. & Koss, M. (April 20, 2013). Examining the Middle School Canon. Paper Presented at the International Reading Association, San Antonio, TX.
- Wilson, N.S. & Koss, M. (December 7, 2012). Is there a Middle School Canon? Paper Presented at American Reading Forum, Sanibel Island, FL.
- Swinburne, S. & Wilson, N.S. (November 16, 2012). The ABC’s of the Common Core Standards and using them to make your young author’s nonfiction writing come alive! Paper Presented at National Council of Teachers of English, Las Vegas, NV.
- Cardullo, V., Zygouris-Coe, V. & Wilson, N.S., (May 2, 2012) Comprehension and motivation with E-readers and traditional text. Paper Presented at International Reading Association, Chicago, IL.
- Wilson, N.S., Cardullo, V., & Zygouris-Coe, V. (December 2, 2011). Investigating how students comprehend using e-readers and traditional text. Literacy Research Association Conference, Jacksonville, Florida.
- Wilson, N.S., (November 10, 2011). Using E-reading devices to improve comprehension in the Middle Grades Classroom. Association of Middle Level Educators, Louisville, KY.
- Wilson, N.S. (December 9, 2010) An Analysis of the intended audience of Newbery and Printz award winners. American Reading Forum, Sanibel Island, Florida.
- Wilson, N.S. Zygouris-Coe, V., Cardullo, V., & Fong, J. (February 2013). Pedagogical Frameworks of Mobile Learning Technologies in Education. For publication In Keengwe, S. (Ed). Pedagogical Applications and Social Effects of Mobile Technology Integration, p. 1-24.
- Kelley, M., Wilson, N.S., & Koss, M.D. (2012). Using Young Adult Literature to Motivate and Engage the Disengaged. In J. A. Hayn & J. S. Kaplan (eds.) Teaching Adolescent Literature Today. Lanham MD: Rowman and Littlefield.
- Wilson, N. (2012). Uncovering Teachers’ Beliefs Through the Development of a Vision Statement. American Reading Forum Proceedings. American Reading Online Yearbook, 32.
- Stafford, T. & Wilson, N. (2012). The Role of Questioning as Thinking on Readers’ Ability to Interact with Text. American Reading Forum Proceedings. American Reading Online Yearbook, 32.
- Cardullo, V., Zygouris-Coe, V., Wilson, N., Craneen, P., & Stafford, T. (2012). Exploring think-alouds and text coding for comprehension of digital-based text. American Reading Forum Proceedings. American Reading Online Yearbook, 32.
- Wilson, N.S. (2012). Middle School Reading Special Interest Group: Interview with the Chair. Reading Today. April 17, 2012.
- Wilson, N.S. & Smetana, L. (2011) "Questioning as Thinking: A metacognitive framework to improve comprehension of expository text. Literacy, 45, 2, 84-90.
- Wilson, N.S. & Bai, H. (2010). The Relationships and Impact of Teachers' Metacognitive Knowledge and Pedagogical Understandings of Metacognition. Metacognition and Learning, 5, 3, 269-288.
- Wilson, N.S. & Kelley, M. (2010) Are Avid Readers Lurking in Your Language Arts Classroom? Reading Horizons, 50, 10, 99-112.
- Wilson, N.S. (2011). The heart of comprehension instruction: Metacognition. California Reader, 44, 3.
- Wilson, N.S. (2011). Using teacher observation to guide improvements. American Reading Online Yearbook, 31.
- Blades, C. & Wilson, N.S. (2010). The Effects of High-Stakes Testing on Teachers and Administrators of a Failing School. Florida Educational Leadership, 10, 2, 7-11.
- Ohio Association of Teacher Educators
- Association of Middle Level Educators
- Ohio Association of Middle Level Educators
- National Middle Level Professors
- Ohio Middle Level Professors
- American Reading Forum
- Literacy Research Association
- International Reading Association
- National Council Teachers of English
Recent awards and/or recognition
- Graduate Faculty Scholar, UCF, 2011.
- Chair, American Reading Forum, 2011 and 2012
- Editor-In-Chief, Reading in the Middle
- Chair, Middle School Reading Special Interest Group, International Reading Association