Nurse Anesthesia Program
Currently accepting eligible candidates
- Fall 2015 priority application deadline is August 1, 2014 (October interviews). Final application deadline is December 1, 2014 (January interviews).Classes begin the week of August 24, 2015
The student nurse anesthetist will have the opportunity to interact with faculty from a variety of disciplines during this 28 month very intensive program at Lourdes. Theory courses will be presented by nursing (both CRNA and other advanced practice nurses), science and medical professors, and community professionals. Various teaching methods will be utilized throughout the curriculum including distance education via videoconferencing. Clinical experience will offer the student the ability to apply didactic knowledge to the practice of nurse anesthesia. Instruction will be provided by CRNA and anesthesiologist mentors in a variety of clinical settings.
Students will have the opportunity to meet the case requirements mandated by the COA, and will gain experience in general, regional, and MAC anesthesia techniques with a diverse population of patients. The program currently is contracted with 16 clinical affiliate sites, and all of them are estimated to be within a one-hour drive of our campus. These clinical affiliations will allow us to offer the best possible clinical experience.
A Graduate Nurse Anesthesia Certificate (GNAC) is available for applicants who have already received a master’s degree in nursing. Upon completion of the GNAC program, students will receive a certificate of completion, not an additional master’s or higher degree.
Currently the maximum number of students per cohort is 12–16, with strategic plans to increase the number of students per cohort to 18 in the future. Applications will be reviewed and select applicants will be invited to campus for interviews.
Lourdes MSN Nurse Anesthesia Program and Graduate Nurse Anesthesia Certificate are accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs through Spring 2016 (Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs, 222 S. Prospect Ave., Park Ridge, Illinois 60068).
Transcripts of undergraduate courses may be reviewed by program advisor prior to application process at applicants request.
Undergraduate coursework in the following areas is required prior to application to the program:
- College Algebra or Quantitative GRE score 143 or greater or college math placement testing exceeding college algebra
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Anatomy and Physiology
The Lourdes University MSN Nurse Anesthesia Program reserves the right to review previous coursework subject to transcript submission. Coursework requirements are subject to change.
Nurse Anesthesia Program (NAP) Statistics Inaugural (Cohort 1) Class
- Thirteen Students Enrolled in Inaugural NAP Cohort
- 8% attrition rate
- 92% Graduation rate
- 83% NCE (Board) 1st-time pass rate
- By March 1, 2014 100% of graduates passed
- 100% of graduates have been employed or secured employment within 3 months of graduation. Many of the graduates have positions in the clinical facilities which serve as clinical practicum sites for the NAP