Nurse Educator Program
Currently accepting applications
- Fall 2015 priority application deadline is May 1, 2015. Classes begin the week of August 24, 2015
Graduates of the Nurse Educator concentration are prepared to function as generalists to teach in a variety of educational roles in nursing practice, including undergraduate nursing education programs, staff development, and patient education programs.
The Master of Science in Nursing degree is an eight semester program with a schedule that accommodates working adults. The 43 credit hour M.S.N. program operates on a classroom cohort model. The classroom component of the program requires the completion of six credit hours each semester including summer. Classes will be conducted in a four–five hour time frame one day a week. The program includes a 120-hour (2 semester hour credit) supervised clinical practicum experience. The graduate student works with an experienced preceptor and is immersed in the role of a nursing educator. During the final semester of the plan of study, a student capstone project is completed under the guidance of a graduate faculty advisor. The product of the capstone is a scholarly paper that is in a format to send to a professional nursing journal and a presentation to peers and faculty. Additionally, in the Capstone course the graduate student works with a preceptor in an advanced, direct patient care role for 40 hours.
This concentration includes the 8 core courses required by all of our masters programs and seven courses that prepare the nurse specifically for the education role. They are:
- NUR 616: Pathophysiology Across the Lifespan for the Nurse in an Advanced Role
- NUR 619: Advanced Physical Assessment Across the Lifespan
- NUR 637: Pharmacology Across the Lifespan for Advanced Nursing Roles
- NUR 640: Perspectives on Teaching and Learning
- NUR 643: Curriculum Design
- NUR 645: Assessment and Evaluation in Healthcare Education
- NUR 697: Capstone for Advanced Nursing Education Roles
A graduate certificate in this area of concentration is also available