Step By Step Application Process
- Determine if your application falls under the Exempt or Expedited review process as outlined in the “Getting Started” section.
- Required CITI Training.
- Fill out the appropriate application in its entirety. The Verification of Exempt Application and the Application for Research Using Human Subjects Application can be found in the Forms section of the IRB homepage. Please work closely with your advisor during this process.
- Submit the electronic version of your application and all supporting documents (i.e. informed consent form) to email@example.com.
- Submit a hard copy of the application to the IRB mailbox, c/o The Welcome Center, Russell J. Ebeid Hall (formerly McAlear Hall). Please make sure to acquire all necessary signatures before submitting the hard copy.
- The IRB Office will check the application for completeness. If items are missing, the investigator will be informed and asked to submit them.
- The results of the review will be communicated to the investigator (and faculty advisor, if applicable.) The investigator may respond in writing to any IRB stipulations.
- Exempt and Expedited reviews generally take 7-10 business from the time the submission of the application and all supporting documents are deemed complete.
- If an application must be reviewed by the Full IRB Committee, reviews take place on the first Wednesday of each month. Follow up communications will be sent to the Investigator within 7 business days of the IRB meeting. Applications requiring Full Board Review must be submitted according to the chart below. The IRB will decide whether to approve the research without modification, require modifications prior to approval, table or disapprove the research.
- September 17, 2014 for the October 1, 2014 meeting
- October 22, 2014 for the November 5, 2014 meeting
- November 19, 2014 for the December 3, 2014 meeting
- December 17, 2014 for the January 7, 2015 meeting - cancelled meeting
- January 21, 2015 for the February 4, 2015 meeting
- February 18, 2015 for the March 4, 2015 meeting
- March 25, 2015 for the April 8, 2015 meeting (2nd Wednesday because of Easter break)
- April 22, 2015 for the May 6, 2015 meeting
When the IRB has approved the research, the researcher will receive an approval letter and may begin the research. Under no circumstances may research begin until the IRB approval letter is received.