In the spirit of St. Francis, Lourdes is committed to preserving resources and protecting our environment.
Care For Creation
The Sylvania Franciscan Village Statement of Principles on Care for Creation and the Environment provides the foundation for this commitment.
Since 2009, campus recycling efforts have saved the equivalent of 667 trees, 133 cubic yards of landfill space, and 16,077 gallons of fuel.
Learn more about what can be recycled through our Campus Recycling Program!
Paper Recycling Program Results
- 2013: 34,920 lbs recycled
- 2012: 31,660 lbs recycled
- 2011: 31,930 lbs recycled
- 2010: 36,295 lbs recycled
- 2009: 10,200 lbs recycled
When Lourdes built Russell J. Ebeid and Delp Hall in 2007, it incorporated green components with an eye toward sustainability:
- We were the first university in northwest Ohio to invest in geothermal heating and cooling in new construction
- Glass walls take advantage of natural light
- Interior and exterior materials were selected with an eye toward minimizing the long-term costs of maintenance and replacement
- Metals used on the exterior are recyclable
The new dining hall also practices green strategies:
- Having all used cooking oil picked up by an alternate fuel foundation so it is recycled and converted into bio-fuel; proceeds from the bio-fuel sales are donated to benefit further research
- Utilizing a pulper in the kitchen to grind up food waste materials in water which are then disposed into a waste container. The pulper extracts all of the water and circulates it back to the disposal trough. The main purpose of the pulper is to reduce overall food waste and to decrease the contribution to landfills.
As part of our Mid-Campus expansion, a new green space with walkway will connect the Traditional Campus with Student Housing starting in Fall 2014.
- Zero-Waste Lunches every October
- Green Fund (rolling)
- Campus Sustainability Day/Food Day every October
- Wellness Fair every April
- Earth Day/Week celebrations every April
- Clean Your Streams every September
- S.A.V.E. (Science Alliance for Valuing the Environment)
Acts of Green
Between Earth Hour (March 26) and Earth Day (April 26) 2011, the Sylvania Franciscan Village joined in support the Earth Day Network to help achieve the goal of a billion "Acts of Green" by earning 3,744 pledges!
Green Cleaning and Paper Products
In August 2011, the campus switched to Green Seal Approved cleaning products. In October of 2010, the campus transitioned from automatic dispensers to Green Seal Approved hand soaps. We use EcoLogo Certified paper towels and toilet tissue across the campus.