Lourdes University

From its establishment in 1958 by the Sisters of St. Francis, Lourdes University has provided an excellent Catholic and Franciscan education.

Please review the milestones and accomplishments:

1916    Bishop Schrembs formally requests a Toledo Province of Rochester Sisters. In November, 23, Rochester Franciscans were selected to be the original province members. The group was under the direction of Mother Adelaide Sandusky, the newly appointed Provincial Superior.
1917    Three farms located in Sylvania, Ohio are purchased. This property would one day become the home of the Franciscan Sisters.
1942    An extension campus of St. Teresa in Winona, Minnesota is established on the Sylvania-Franciscan campus.
1958    Lourdes Junior College is founded. Mother Justinian Warpeha, OSF is the first President (1958-1962).
1964    The College receives accreditation by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools during the presidency of Sr. M. Remigia Kostick, OSF, 1962 – 1972.
1969    Lay women are admitted to the Junior College.
1973    Lourdes College becomes independently incorporated.
1975    During the presidency of Sr. Rosaria Petra, OSF, 1972 – 1981, the first men are admitted to Lourdes College. Educational opportunities are also extended to students from the St. Vincent School of Nursing in Toledo and the Providence School of Nursing in Sandusky, Ohio.
1977    The Franciscan Sisters and area business and civic leaders hold extensive discussions regarding the need for a Catholic college following the closing of Mary Manse College. These discussions lead to a feasibility study regarding a four-year college.
1978    An Associate Degree for Occupational Therapy Assistant receives approval.
1979    A Lifelong Learning Center is founded by Sr. Ann Francis Klimkowski, OSF, and offers a wide range of adult education classes.
1981    Under the guidance of Sr. Marie Andrée Chorzempa, OSF, (acting president 1981 – 1983) the first bachelor degree programs are developed in religious studies and individualized studies. The Board approves move to a four year college.
1982    The College is authorized by the Ohio Board of Regents and receives accreditation from North Central Association for baccalaureate degrees.
1983    Sr. Ann Francis Klimkowski, OSF, becomes president of the College (1983 – 2000).
1986    Two more bachelor degrees are added to the curriculum: Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
1991    The Associate Degree for Early Childhood Teacher Education is approved.
1993    Full complement of majors within the Bachelor of Arts degree are added.
1999    Authorization from the Ohio Board of Regents and accreditation from North Central Association are received to offer a Bachelor of Science degree.
2000    Dr. George Matthews becomes president of the College (2000 – 2003).
2002    Graduate degrees in Education and Organizational Leadership are accredited.
2003    Dr. Robert Helmer becomes president of the College (2003 – 2012).
2007    Lourdes dedicates Delp and McAlear Halls. Graduate degree in Nursing is accredited.
2009    Graduate degree in Theology is accredited.
2010    Lourdes welcomes first residential students and launches inaugural intercollegiate athletic season.
2011    Lourdes College transitions to Lourdes University. Graduate degrees in Business, Liberal Studies and Nurse Anesthesia are accredited.
2012    Dr. Janet Robinson becomes interim president of the University (2012 – 2013).

2013    Lourdes offers inaugural study abroad courses.Dr. David J. Livingston becomes the ninth president of the university.

Lourdes breaks ground on Phase I of the mid-campus expansion.

2014    Lourdes’ mid-campus opens connecting the historic and residential campuses.

2015    Northview High School and Lourdes University announce partnership; break ground on athletic complex.Gray Wolves women’s volleyball team wins Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference (WHAC)

2016    Dr. Mary Ann Gawelek becomes the 10th president of the university. Lourdes officially opens and dedicates the Russell J. Ebeid Recreation Center.