Sociology Learning Outcomes
Basic Sociological Concepts & Theory
Students will understand basic concepts in sociology so that they will be able to
- Define, give examples, and demonstrate an understanding of sociological concepts and theories.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply sociological concepts and theories
- Express ideas in a clear and coherent manner in writing and in oral presentations.
Basic Research Competence
Students will understand the role of evidence in sociology, such that they will be able to:
- Identify basic methodological approaches and describe the general role of methods in building sociological knowledge;
- Compare and contrast the basic methodological approaches for gathering data;
- Complete component(s) of a research study and explain why various decisions were made.
Cultural and Global Diversity
Students will understand the diversity of American society and its place in the international context such that they will be able to:
- Describe the significance of variations by race, ethnicity, class, gender, age and sexual orientation and other culturally relevant categories in human relations;
- Describe the social factors and processes through which prejudice and discrimination are created and perpetrated.