Staff spotlight: Kristian Schmidt and building relationships
"The best part of working in the field of international education is the relationships you build," offers Area Coordinator Kristian Fanene Schmidt. A Fulbright New Zealand General Graduate Award recipient, Kristian spent the past academic year comparing university support services targeted at Black and Latino students in the United States with that of Pacific and Mayori students in New Zealand.
Did You Know…?
- Kiwi in New Zealand does not refer to a fruit but a bird?
- The country was the first to establish voting rights for women?
- It was the first country to have its three top political positions held by women?
Learn more about this fun, free spirited and quite liberal-minded country online.
Learn more about the New Zealand people, culture, history and fun things to do.
Find out more about the kiwiana way
Interested in becoming a Fulbright scholar?
Fun facts about Kristian
- Received full-ride scholarships at both the University of Auckland and Lehigh University
- Qualified lawyer
- Performed in a hip-hop crew for 5 years
- Featured on 3 television shows in New Zealand and Australia
- Fulbright scholar
- Served in Territorial Army for 2 years
- Related to wrestlers Peter Fanene Maivia and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
- Visited over 25 countries
- United Nations delegate for an NGO in 2011
- Worked at McDonald's throughout high school
- Devout Catholic
Comments are closed for this article, but if you have spotted an error or have additional info that you think should be in this article, feel free to contact us.