Valerie Grondin, OSF, Ph.D.
Sr. Valerie has been teaching courses in the Education Department at Lourdes since 2005. She has also been the university supervisor for students doing their student teaching, field work and clinical work in local schools. Her experience in the past includes elementary administration for 22 years, high school administration for 4 years and many years teaching at the elementary and high school level. Sister has taught grades 2-12 and as a high school teacher has taught math and religion courses.
Teaching Strategies: a Guide to Effective Instruction 10th ed.
Orlich, Donald C, Harder, Robert J, Callahan Richard C, Trevisan, Michael, 2013
Using Formative Assessment Yields Data to Improve Instruction, presented at the National Catholic Education Conference, April 8, 2015, Orlando, Florida
Coaching and Mentoring Techniques for Managers, March 20, 2105, Franciscan Care Center, Sylvania, OH
Using Data to Improve Instruction, presented to the principals and teachers of the Atlanta diocese, June 9, 2014, Atlanta, Georgia
Toward a Brighter Future: Current Research on Catholic Schools, presented at the National Catholic Education Convention, April 3, 2013, Houston Texas
Completion of the dissertation, The Mentor and the Beginning Teacher in Catholic Elementary Schools, for the doctor of philosophy degree in the Catholic Education Leadership and Policy Program, at The Catholic University of America, September 12, 2012
Ohio Resident Educator Program for Mentor of Beginning Teachers, October 1, 2011, Catholic Youth and Schools Office
Using Assessment to Inform Instruction, presented at Lourdes Catholic School, September 23, 2011, Nogales, Arizona
Ohio Resident Educator Program for Mentor of Beginning Teachers, September 12, 2011, Archbold, OH
Using Assessment to Inform Instruction, presented at the National Catholic Education Convention, April 28, 2011, New Orleans LA
Ohio Resident Educator Transition Program for Mentor of Beginning Teachers, January 14, 2011, Catholic Youth and School Services, Toledo OH
Ohio Resident Educator Transition Program for Mentor of Beginning Teachers, October 21st and 22nd, 2010, Valley View, OH
Ohio Resident Educator Transition Program for Mentor of Beginning Teachers, September 23rd and 24th, 2010, Archbold, OH
Beginning Teachers, Mentors and Induction Programs: Contemporary Issues and Implications, presented at the Association of Teacher Educators. Chicago, IL, February 15, 2010.
Using Data to Inform Instruction, presented at the Catholic Conference of Ohio, October 9, 2009, Cincinnati, OH
Attendance at Conferences
Invited to attend the World Congress of Catholic Education, November 18-21, 2015, Rome, Italy
Mentoring in the 21st Century Institute, April 9-11, 2014, Washington DC.
National Catholic Educational Association Chief Administrators of Catholic Education Conference, Catholic Higher Education in Support of Catholic Education, October 27-30, 2013, Columbus, OH.
edTPA Ohio Local Evaluation, Trainer of Trainers, February 7-8, 2013, Columbus, OH
Higher Education Introduction to Value-Added Analysis Workshop, December 13, 2012, Columbus, OH
Resident Educator State Trainers Academy, May 31, 2012, Columbus, OH
Statewide Educator Evaluation Symposium, May 25, 2012, Columbus, OH
Ohio Board of Regents Conference on Teacher Quality, June 22, 2010, Columbus, OH
Ohio State Lead Trainers Transition Resident Education Program, June 17, August 26, September 10, November 5, 2010 and January 28, 2011 in Columbus, OH. These all day sessions were in preparation to be certified as a mentor trainer for beginning teachers in the state of Ohio. I have participated in the Ohio Resident Educator Training on August 5th and 6th in Parma, OH and in Canfield, OH on August 16th and 17th. This participation was a requirement for certification as a trainer. After being observed by a representative from the New Teacher Center in California during the presentation on Oct 21st and 22nd, I am now a certified trainer.
Attended the Instructional Mentoring Training, Transition Resident Educator Program, April 20, 2010 at Lourdes College (7 contact hours)
Lourdes College Learning Impact Study “Did the Lights Go On?” Beard, Charles D. Grondin, Valerie, Roadruck, Karen Current Issues in Middle Level Education, Vol. 15, number 1, Spring 2010
Lourdes University Campus Service
- 2013. 2016: Faculty Senate
- 2012-Prsent: Curriculum, Policy and Review Committee
- 2015. 2016: Graduate Council
- 2011: Rank and Promotion Committee
Service to the Community
- Catholic Charities, Diocese of Toledo, Board of Directors, 2013 to present
- St Patrick Historic Pastoral Council, 2013 – 2016
- Sisters of St. Francis Budget Committee Chair, 2016
- Sisters of St. Francis Chapter of Mats Committee, Co-Chair 2013
- Academic Excellence Foundation, Sylvania Schools, 2010-2012.
- Golden Apple Awards Committee Member 2007-2011, 2014
- St Patrick Historic Parish Communion Distributor and Lector, 2005 to present
Honors and Awards
- 2012, 2011, 2010: Lourdes College Faculty Excellence Award Nominee
- State of Ohio Permanent Licenses: Supervisor, Elementary Principal, High School Teacher – Math, Elementary Teacher (1-8),
- Ohio Professional License: High School Principal, expiring in 2016
- 2014-Present National Catholic Education Association
- 2014- Present Catholic Higher Education Supporting Catholic Schools
- Foundations of Education
- Survey of Special Needs
- Multicultural & Social Issues in Education
- Teaching Adolescents to Young Adults
- Curriculum & Instruction for Adolescents to Young Adults
- General Teaching Methods and Field Experience I
- Methods and Field Experience II
- Adolescent & Young Adult Student Teaching
- Education for Young Adolescents
- Integrated Curriculum and Instruction
- Middle School Methods, Seminars and Field Experience I
- Middle School Methods, Seminars and Field Experience I
- Middle Childhood Student Teaching
- Mathematics for Teachers of Young Children I
- Content and Pedagogy: Mathematics and Science in Grades 4 and 5