Dwayne Beggs, Ph.D.
Director First Year Experience
Areas of Expertise
- Modern America
- American National Government
- U.S. Military/Diplomatic History
- The U.S. Civil War
- The Vietnam War
- U.S. in the Cold War Era
- Ph.D., Bowling Green State University
- M.A., Bowling Green State University
- M. Divinity, Anderson School of Theology
- B.S., Taylor University - Fort Wayne
- Hess, Dr. Gary R. and Dr. A Dwayne Beggs. "Lyndon Johnson, Martin Luther King, Jr. and the Guns and Butter Dilemma." Financial History Magazine, Issue 106; Spring 2013: pages 30-33.
- “Ernest Gruening, Wayne Morse and the Anti-War Movement.” The National Policy History Conference, Spring 2010
- “The Impact of Just Two Senators on the Ability of the President to Wage War in Vietnam.” Ohio Academy of History, Spring 2009
- “Ernest Gruening, Wayne Morse and their Dissent over American Involvement in Vietnam.” Ohio Academy of History, Oberlin College, Spring 2007
Recent awards and recognition
- Graduate Teaching Award, Bowling Green State University Department of History, 2009-2010
- Department Citizen of the Year Award, Bowling Green State University Department of History, award for overall attitude and service, 2008-2009
- Louis Katzner Research Award, Bowling Green State University. Received a $1000 research grant to travel to the University of Oregon and the University of Alaska Fairbanks to examine the Wayne Morse and Ernest Gruening papers, 2009.
- Inducted into the Phi Alpha Theta, History Honorary, 2005
- Granted an eight month fellowship from the Church of God-Anderson Indiana-to study Pastoral Ministries under an established pastor who led a large congregation and who was recognized as one of the stellar leaders in the field. Traveled to Saint Joseph Michigan in the for this fellowship-to serve as an intern, Spring 1994
Service to Department and University:
- Coordinated the Distinguished Lecture in American History at Lourdes University in March 2013.
- American Historical Association
- Society For Military History
- Society of Civil War Historians
- Ohio Academy of History
- Phi Alpha Theta
- Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations