Barbara Walters, Ed.D.
Department of Education
- Ed.D., Northcentral University
- Reading Specialist Licensure, University of Findlay
- M.Ed., University of Toledo
- Early Childhood Endorsement, Bowling Green State University
- B.A., Bowling Green State University
Areas of Expertise
- Phonics and Word Study
- Elementary Literacy
- Children's and Adolescent Literature
- Reading Diagnosis and Assessment
- Research Interests:
Trends in New Literacies
- Technical Skills
- Redefining Guided Reading. Pan American School, Puerto Alegre, Brazil (2014).
- Unpacking the Common Core - Aligning Your Reading and Language Arts Instruction. Toledo Catholic Diocese (2013).
- Using Assessment to Drive Instruction. Pan American School, Puerto Alegre, Brazil (2013).
- Assessments for Multiple Intelligences. Pan American School, Puerto Alegre, Brazil (2013).
- Using Picture Books to Enhance Academic Vocabulary. Whiteford Agricultural Schools, Temperance, Michigan (2013).
- How Spelling Supports Reading. Whiteford Agricultural Schools, Temperance, Michigan (2013).
- Using Data to Improve Reading Instruction. Toledo Catholic Diocese, Toledo, Ohio (2011).
- Seated to Online: Easing the Transition into the Virtual College Classroom. Ohio Association for Teacher Educators (OATE), Columbus, Ohio (2010).
- Using Trade Books to Stimulate Mathematical Concept Instructional Conversations. National Association for Young Children (NAEYC) Regional Conference, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio (2010).
- Informational Text and the Common Core: A Content Analysis of Three Basal Reading Programs. Article submitted and under review - Sage (2014).
- Helping Children Cope with Grief: Guidance pamphlet for teachers to use in their classrooms. Toledo Public Schools (1985)
Recent Awards and Recognition
- Toledo Area Association of Young Children-Teacher of the Year-Award Winner (2007)
- Faculty Excellence Award Nominee-Lourdes College (2006)
- Martha Holden Jennings Scholar (2003)