Commencement Week: Instructions for Graduates
It is very important that graduates review the instructions carefully, as they contain important information concerning Commencement day for both graduates and guests.
All graduates should have completed the order form for their cap and gown that was included in the graduation application packet. Caps and gowns can be picked up from the Lourdes Bookstore beginning May 1. Check the Bookstore website for current hours of operation. PLEASE NOTE: Caps and gowns MUST be picked up by 3 p.m. the day (Friday) before Commencement. All graduates must wear their cap and gown for the baccalaureate and commencement ceremonies. Graduate students should bring their hood for commencement. Since there is not a secure place to store purses and other valuables, graduates are advised to lock such valuables in the car or leave them with family members.
- Gowns - Should be worn zipped to the top with the zipper locked. For women, the gown should cover the skirt, if possible. Graduates should wear dark dress shoes.
- Mortarboard - The correct way to wear a mortarboard (cap) is on the top of the head, with the “board” parallel to the floor, flat on top of the head, (not hanging off the back of the head). The tassel is worn on the right side for the liturgy and the beginning of the commencement ceremony. At the end of the commencement ceremony, graduates will be directed to move their tassels to the left side of their caps.
- Master Hoods - Masters candidates will carry their hoods over their right arms during the processional. Staff will be on hand to ensure the hoods are folded appropriately. Do not bring hoods to Baccalaureate.
- Gold Tassels - Those undergraduates who have a GPA of 3.5 or higher are eligible to wear the gold honors tassel. Gold tassels may be picked up from the Welcome Center beginning the first week in May during regular Welcome Center hours. There is no honors designation for the Graduate School and therefore, there are no gold tassels for graduate students.
PLEASE NOTE: GOLD TASSELS WILL NOT BE TAKEN TO SEAGATE CENTRE FOR PICKUP THERE. IF YOU DO NOT PICK UP YOUR GOLD TASSEL PRIOR TO COMMENCEMENT, YOU WILL NEED TO WEAR THE BLACK TASSEL (included in your cap/gown package) FOR COMMENCEMENT AND PICK UP THE GOLD TASSEL THE FOLLOWING MONDAY.
- Honor Society Members – Honor Societies each have their own distinctive stole, cord, or pin. Check with your advisor on how these can be obtained.
Liturgy / Baccalaureate
Saturday, May 16, 2015
10 a.m. (Arrive by 9:30 a.m.)
Our Lady Queen of Peace Chapel
Campus Map (PDF) | RSVP and other forms
Graduates will gather by the double glass doors near the chapel.
A special liturgy for graduates and their families will be celebrated in Our Lady Queen of Peace Chapel on the Lourdes campus. It is very important to indicate if you will be attending this liturgy. Please contact Sister Ann Carmen Barone
Special Accommodations – Please contact Sister Ann Carmen Barone if you or guests need special accommodations for seating in Chapel. Graduates who attend the liturgy will wear cap and gown, be part of the procession, and sit in a section reserved for them. Graduate students will not wear the hood at liturgy (please do not bring them with you to the liturgy).
- 9:30 a.m. – Graduates are encouraged to arrive by 9:30 a.m. so that families and friends find comfortable seating. Guests do not need tickets. The chapel seats approximately 450 people.
- 9:35 a.m. – Graduates will be part of the academic procession into the Chapel and will gather near the entrance to the Regina Hall Corridor (highlighted in yellow on the map). Enter through the double glass doors or proceed down the hallway to the right after coming in the front entrance of the Chapel and follow the signs. Staff will also provide directions to the gathering area where the procession will be formed.
- 9:55 a.m. – Faculty, clergy, and graduates form a procession and process into Chapel. Graduates will then sit in the reserved section.
- 10 a.m. – Liturgy begins.
- 11:15 a.m. – Liturgy concludes.
- Recession – At the end of Liturgy, faculty, graduates, and clergy recess first, followed by the congregation.
Saturday, May 16, 2015
1 p.m. (Arrive no later than 12:15 p.m.)
The SeaGate Convention Centre
Map of Downtown Toledo (PDF)
Parking Map (PDF)
SeaGate Centre Diagram (PDF)
* Parking Fees for SeaGate Garage (under SeaGate Centre):
- 0-30 minutes: $1
- 30 minutes–1 hour: $2
- 2 hours: $3
- 2–3 hours: $4
- 3–6 hours: $5
- 6–12 hours: $7
This facility does take credit cards. Additional parking is available in the lot across the street. Rates for that lot are posted at the entrance to the lot.
Bouquets of flowers will be available to purchase for your graduate in the lobby of the SeaGate Centre prior to the ceremony. Proceeds will benefit the Lourdes Habitat for Humanity team.
Accessibility Accommodations for GUESTS
There will be accessible seating at SeaGate. The Accessible Seating Desk will be in front of Hall C. Guests needing to sit in the accessible area should check in at the desk to be shown to the accessibility section. PLEASE NOTE ACCESSIBLE SEATING IS LIMITED. ONLY FIVE MEMBERS OF EACH FAMILY MAY SIT IN THE ACCESSIBILITY SECTION. Other family members may sit in other areas. This restriction is necessary to accommodate all the guests who need accessibility seating.
Accessibility Accommodations for GRADUATES
Any graduate needing special accommodations for the procession and seating should contact Teddi Moorman at Lourdes as soon as possible at 419-824-3837. She will make arrangements to meet you and go through the details of using the wheelchair lift and going across the stage to receive your diploma.
All Graduates Report:
BRING YOUR CAP, TASSEL, GOWN, AND HOOD (IF APPLICABLE) TO SEAGATE. REMINDER: GOLD HONOR TASSELS ARE AWARDED TO UNDERGRADUATES ONLY AND MUST BE PICKED UP AHEAD OF TIME AT THE WELCOME CENTER. THEY HAVE THE LIST OF THOSE WHO QUALIFY. NO GOLD HONOR TASSELS WILL BE BROUGHT TO SEAGATE. IF YOU FORGET TO PICK UP YOUR GOLD TASSEL, YOU WILL NEED TO WEAR THE STANDARD BLACK TASSEL FOR GRADUATION. YOU MAY PICK UP YOUR GOLD TASSEL THE FOLLOWING MONDAY FROM THE WELCOME CENTER.
- Arrive at the SeaGate Convention Centre, 401 Jefferson Ave., no later than 12:15 p.m.
- Leave your purse, coats, and other belongings with family or friends.
- Report to Hall A on the street level. Signs will be posted and volunteers will be on hand to direct you to Hall A. There will be tables located at the front of the room (by the entrance doors). Guests are not permitted in this hall.
- Report to the table that has the first letter of your last name, i.e. A-I; J-Q; R-Z.
- You will be given a card stating your name, college and the degree being awarded. The card will be color-coded to match the sign for your college in the line-up areas. Your college is listed on your card.
- Orange – College of Arts & Sciences
- Navy – College of Nursing
- Green – College of Business & Leadership
- Purple – College of Education & Human Services
- Maroon – Graduate School
Please write the phonetic spelling of your name on the space provided on the card when you check in.
Report to the people stationed at your college sign in the line-up area. They will put you into the procession line-up.
Keep your card with you at all times. You must take your card to the stage. You must hand your card to the person at the top of the stairs.
Procession – The procession forms in this order:
- Faculty Marshal
- Stage Party
Ushers will be on hand to help direct graduates to the appropriate assigned seat. Commencement programs for graduates will be available at the seat. Graduates should not carry anything during the procession except the information card handed to them at line-up. When graduates arrive in their seats, they remain standing until after the invocation and the National Anthem.
Undergraduate Degree Candidates
Undergraduate degrees will be conferred and graduates will receive their degrees in the following order:
- BA & BS in Arts & Sciences
- BA & BS in Business & Leadership
- BA & BS in Education and Human Services
- BS in Nursing
Those receiving an Associate Degree will be asked to stand. After Dr. Livingston confers the degree, someone will direct the graduates to the stairs at the right side of the stage. The rest of the degrees will follow in the same manner. Someone will be at the bottom of the stairs to provide assistance. Candidates will move up the stairs to the stage, hand a pre-printed card (the one given out at line-up) to the person at the top of the stairs and proceed to shake hands with the Dean of the respective college. The graduate will continue across the stage and receive the diploma folder from Dr. Livingston. Graduates leave the stage by the stairs at the left. Graduates should return to the assigned seat and be seated.
Master Degree Candidates
Graduate degrees will be conferred and graduates will receive their degrees in the following order:
- Master of Arts in Liberal Studies
- Master of Arts in Theological Studies
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Education
- Master of Organizational Leadership
- Master of Science in Nursing
Graduate candidates will follow the same process for the conferring of the degrees and proceeding to the right side of the stage. The graduates will cross to center stage where they will present their hood on their right arm to the person on the stand. Graduates will turn and face the audience. The hood will be placed over the graduate's head. The graduates will proceed to Dr. Livingston to receive their diploma. Graduates leave the stage by the stairs at the left. Please return to your assigned seat.
All Graduate Candidates
The Alumni Association President will give the alumni welcome, followed by the benediction. Karen Biscay, Chairperson of the Music Department, will lead the singing of the Song of Lourdes. Words and music will be in the program.
Dr. Livingston will ask the graduates to stand and he will present the Graduating Class of 2014 to the audience. At this time, graduates will be instructed to move their tassels from the right side to the left side of the mortar board.
The recessional will begin immediately after the Master of Ceremonies thanks everyone for coming. The order for the recessional is:
- Faculty Marshal
- Platform Party
- Faculty/Staff (double line)
- Graduates (double line) starting with the Masters Graduates
It is essential that all graduates keep moving while leaving the auditorium in procession. Please do not stop in the auditorium area, otherwise an unsafe traffic jam will occur. Please ask your guests to remain seated until the procession is completed and then meet you in the lobby area.
Graduates from Summer 2014 and Fall 2014 will receive a congratulatory certificate in the diploma folder on graduation day. Spring 2015 graduates will receive the official Lourdes University diploma. Any issues regarding your diploma should be addressed to the Registrar’s Office (419-824-3817).
Instructions for Guests
Commencement will take place in Halls B and C (combined) at SeaGate Centre and will last from 2 to 2-1/2 hours. Doors to both halls will open at 12:15 p.m. Families and guests should find seats in the auditorium at this time. Guests are not required to have tickets. There is no limit to the number of guests per graduate. Special (accessible) seating including wheelchair access will be available just inside Hall B, but seating in this area is limited to 5 per graduate. Guests needing special seating should arrive early and be seated by 12:45 when the doors to Hall B close for the lining up of the graduates. Guests who arrive after 12:45 and need accessible seating will have to wait to be seated until after the graduates have processed.
STROLLERS: NO STROLLERS ARE ALLOWED ON THE FLOOR OF THE SEAGATE CENTRE. There are designated areas for stroller parking next to the bleachers where you may leave empty strollers during the ceremony.
BALLOONS: NO BALLOONS WILL BE PERMITTED, as they block the view of other families who wish to see their loved ones graduate.
At approximately 12:45 p.m., the doors to Hall B will be closed to guests. This is necessary in order to facilitate the processional lineup of students, faculty and staff that begins just behind the doors to Hall B. When the doors to Hall B close, guests will be asked to move down to the Hall C doors and enter there. Please do not congregate around the processional area. Security personnel will be posted in this area to keep the aisles clear for the processional. Guests are asked to remain in their seats as much as possible, especially during the procession and recession. The ceremony will last 2 - 2½ hours.