Diversity & Multicultural Services
Fostering an understanding of cultural and human differences so all members of the Lourdes community feel honored, valued and respected within their unique cultural frameworks.
According to the Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education, The formal education of students consists of the curriculum and the co-curriculum, and must promote student learning and development that is purposeful and holistic. Each program in Student Life must provide evidence of its impact on the achievement of student learning and development outcomes. Relevant and desirable outcomes include: intellectual growth, effective communication, realistic self-appraisal, enhanced self-esteem, clarified values, career choices, leadership development, healthy behaviors, meaningful interpersonal relationships, independence, collaboration, social responsibility, satisfying and productive lifestyles, appreciation of diversity, spiritual awareness and achievement of personal and educational goals. Learning outcomes for Diversity & Multicultural Services include:
- Students will develop an understanding of their own culture, heritage and identity.
- Students will develop and awareness of cultural differences, cultural commonalities, privilege, and the identities of others.
- Students will establish satisfying interpersonal relationships through the exchanging of ideas and reflections.
Definition of Diversity:
The concept of diversity encompasses acceptance and respect. It means understanding that each individual is unique, and recognizes our individual differences. These can be along the dimensions of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious beliefs, political beliefs, or other ideologies.
The goals of the Office of Diversity and Multicultural Services are to:
- Enhance students’ understanding of their own culture, heritage and identities.
- Enhance students’ understanding of cultures, heritages, and identities other than their own.
- Provide opportunities for interactions, exchange of ideas and reflection.
The office of Diversity and Multicultural Student Services is committed to Justice and Social Change.