To be considered a student must:
- Be a full time undergraduate student in good standing who has earned a minimum of 24 credit hours at Lourdes;
- Possess good health and be capable of long and strenuous walks;
- Demonstrate a history of community service and service to the Lourdes community;
- Express a commitment to share the experience with the community;
- Read at least one book on the life of Francis of Assisi and Clare of Assisi, and review other materials placed on reserve in the library;
- Be open to new insights and discoveries;
- Participate in pre-pilgrimage gatherings for the purpose of getting to know other participants and answering questions concerning travel, itinerary, money, etc.;
- Participate in post-pilgrimage gatherings for the purpose of processing personal insights and discoveries;
- Translate the pilgrimage experience into action that expresses and strengthens the mission of Lourdes.
To apply, please submit the following:
- A cover sheet that includes: Name, home address, e-mail and phone number;
- A recommendation letter from a member of the faculty, staff, or administration;
- A written summary of your community service activities and your service to the Lourdes community;
- A 3-5 page narrative that includes a reflection on:
- How the pilgrimage will benefit you personally;
- How your personal spiritual journey prepares you for this experience;
- How the person of Francis of Assisi or the Franciscan tradition has already influenced your life;
- How you see yourself sharing your pilgrimage experience with the Lourdes community, your family, peers and faith community. Please include specific examples.
Please submit completed applications by October 19, 2018 at 5 p.m. to Sister Ann Carmen Barone (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Dr. Mary Ann Gawelek and Sr. Ann Carmen Barone will name a selection committee to review applications and, if necessary, hold interviews for the purpose of selecting the Pilgrims. Individuals are also responsible for covering the cost of obtaining their passport, the cost of connecting flights and for any personal purchases made while on pilgrimage.
Correspondence from the selection committee will follow with information regarding possible interview dates. Participants for the December 27, 2018 to January 6, 2019 pilgrimage will be announced at the end of October 2018.
Questions may be directed to
Sr. Ann Carmen Barone, OSF