Mission Trip Application
It is an exciting new academic year and time, once again, to begin to form this year’s mission trip teams!
We are excited to announce that we will be offering two different mission trips (one during spring break and one at the end of May):
Habitat for Humanity
The Lourdes Habitat for Humanity Spring Break Team is celebrating its 23nd year! This long standing Lourdes tradition provides students with an opportunity to serve the greater community. Through the work of Habitat, thousands of low-income families have found new hope in the form of affordable housing. Churches, community groups and others have joined together to successfully tackle a significant social problem―decent housing for all.
- Habitat for Humanity Trip Dates: March 8-15, 2020 (possible Saturday departure on March 7)
- Habitat for Humanity Trip Cost: $375 plus a non-refundable $25 deposit (Total $400)
Guatemala: Valley of the Angels Home
Valley Of The Angels, is a children’s home in Guatemala opened by Franciscan friars. The facility is located about thirty minutes east of Guatemala City. Valley of the Angels was originally established for the specific purpose of educating and caring for abandoned and orphaned children, the mission was later expanded to include all poor children. Today, they house, feed and educate over 200 needy children and continue to welcome all children who in any way are in need of assistance.
- Guatemala Trip Dates: TBD (Most likely, early June. We are still scheduling with Valley Children’s Home.)
- Guatemala Trip Cost: Estimated cost is $1300 (May vary, depending on airfare)
Both weeklong experiences, together with any fundraising and preparations that lead up to the trip, offers participants an opportunity to work together as a team and to develop personal leadership skills.
Any Lourdes University student who is in good academic standing and who has no disciplinary issues is eligible to apply. If you choose to apply, you will be notified in mid-November sometime after the early bird deadline when the applications have been reviewed. If slots are still available after this deadline additional applications will be accepted. Please see the below for for application details and instructions.
Deadline and Eligibility
Early-Bird Application Deadline: November 1, 2019
After this date applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the time of the trip.
Who is eligible?
- Any enrolled Lourdes University student: who is in good academic standing and who has no disciplinary issues
- Team members are required to attend all planning meetings
After the November 1 early-bird deadline, applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
How to Apply
A complete application includes:
- A submitted online application form
- Please submit a one to two page essay that explains your interest in becoming a team member and in doing so please respond to all of the following questions:
– Why do you want to participate?
– Have you been involved with an extended outreach experience in the past? If so, please tell us about your experience.
– Give an example of a time you worked with a team to achieve a goal. What personal gifts did you use to help achieve that goal?
– How can you bring this experience back to the Lourdes University campus and/or impact the community?
- A brief reference letter from a Lourdes faculty or staff member, pastor or employer. This should be sent directly by the reference to Sister Barbara Vano, OSF at firstname.lastname@example.org or via the postal service to:
Sister Barbara Vano, OSF
Director of Campus Ministry & Service Learning
6832 Convent Blvd.
Sylvania, OH 43560