Grounds Landscape Technician I
GENERAL SUMMARY SUMMARY:
Working under the direction of the Grounds & Shrines Supervisor, the Grounds Landscape Technician I performs a variety of procedures related to the landscaping, maintenance and upkeep of specific grounds areas of the historic Sylvania Franciscan campus and other related properties owned by the Sisters of St. Francis and Lourdes University.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Promotes the values of the Sisters of St. Francis by demonstrating behaviors and communication supportive of a commitment to reverence, service and stewardship, including respect, teamwork, open and effective communication, and efficient and effective resource use. Adheres to the Sisters of St. Francis policies, procedures and objectives. Exhibits professional attitude in attire, workspace and interpersonal communications.
- Perform of a variety of horticulture and silvaculture procedures such as:
- Identification of species
- Pruning techniques for species
- Removal of invasive species
- Plant inspection for disease control
- Planting specimens (bare root and B&B)
- Transplanting techniques
- Watering techniques
- Fertilizer application (licensed)
- Chemical application (controls)
- Ditch maintenance (water flow)
- Erosion control (slopes, banks, top soil)
- Mulch application
- Perform a variety of grounds care procedures such as:
- Seeking/trimming/mowing /weeding flowerbeds
- Planting greenhouse stock
- Spring and Fall clean up
- Seasonal closing down of operations
- Report observed grounds equipment needs and correct when appropriate.
- Properly maintain (preventative maintenance) and operate assigned grounds equipment.
- Perform tasks in a safe manner, using required/recommended personal protective gear.
- Assist with snow removal and other emergency activities to help ensure the safety of the Sylvania Franciscan Village residents, employees, faculty, and staff.
- Perform other duties and tasks as assigned.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to read, understand, and follow work instructions, either written or oral.
- An understanding of math necessary for measuring and calculating quantities of materials to properly dilute and apply chemicals.
- Mechanical aptitude necessary to operate and make minor repairs/adjustments assigned equipment.
Lawn tractor, lawn mower, leaf vacuum, DR trimmer, dump truck, pick-up truck, chainsaw, tiller, power tools, hand tools, snow blowers, snow shovels, etc.
- Regular standing, stooping, bending, lifting, pushing, reaching and kneeling.
- Ability to lift objects up to 70 pounds.
- Extreme conditions in temperature and precipitation.
- Use of chemicals with associated odors and hazards.
- Flexibility regarding work hours and schedule.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- High school diploma or G.E.D.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid driver’s license and a driving record acceptable to the Sisters of St. Francis.
- One to two (1-2) years of demonstrated, related work experience.
Please direct resumes to the attention of Brandy Bouyer BBouyer@sistersosf.org