Housekeeper I – Second Shift
“Called like Francis of Assisi to live the Gospel in joyful servanthood among all people, the Sisters of St. Francis of Sylvania, Ohio, as messengers of peace, commit themselves to works that reverence human dignity, embrace the poor and marginalized, and respect the gift of all creation.”
Mission Statement of the Sisters of St. Francis, Sylvania
The Sisters of St. Francis, Sylvania, Ohio are Third Order Regular Franciscans, living in community as vowed religious according to the spirit and example of Francis of Assisi. As women of peace and seekers of justice, we are committed to serving God’s people through diverse ministries in nine Dioceses in seven states.
The Sisters of St. Francis are inviting applicants for the position of Second Shift Housekeeper. Working under the direction of the Environmental Services Supervisor, the Housekeeper performs cleaning services to provide a positive overall look and the general cleanliness of assigned buildings. In accordance with general directions, performs a variety of daily/routine and periodic cleaning tasks within assigned work areas. Follows established procedures, which result in a clean, healthy and safe work and community environment.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Promotes the values of the Sisters of St. Francis by demonstrating behaviors supportive of a commitment to reverence, service and stewardship, including respect and involvement, teamwork, open and effective communication, and efficient and effective resource use. Adheres to the Sisters of St. Francis policies, procedures and objectives. Exhibits professional attitude in attire, work space and interpersonal communications.
- Communicates effectively with all department staff members and maintains on-going, two-way flow of information with all key relationships.
- Adheres to written work schedules, and/or verbal assignments. Performs quality work which is free from defects. Completes assignments within allotted time parameters.
- Cleans and sanitizes restrooms; including fixtures, showers, and floors
- Cleans all buildings areas including offices, lounges, kitchenettes, classrooms, stairways, elevators, entryways, and covered walkways. These activities include dusting, vacuuming, washing furnishings, phones, blackboards/whiteboards, desks/tables, and other room furnishings.
- Removes trash and recycling from buildings to dumpsters or designated areas.
- Maintains hard surface and carpeted floors which includes: Sweeping, wet/damp/dry mopping and vacuuming carpets. Operates various equipment such as vacuums, carpet/upholstery extractors, high speed buffers and auto scrubbers. Processes may include stripping/refinishing hard surface floors or extracting carpet
- Performs routine cleaning work through the academic year but may also perform project work during breaks and through the summer months. This includes, but is not limited to, deep cleaning all rooms in buildings during summer months while performing routine work per building usage, and cleaning student rooms and buildings used by campus guests during summer months as needed to meet campus needs (conferences, camps, summer occupancy, etc.)
- Reports observed facility safety concerns, maintenance issues, and equipment repair needs to supervisors, e.g., leaking faucets, burned-out lights, etc. Makes preventative actions or corrections where appropriate.
- Properly maintains and uses assigned equipment in a safe, appropriate manner. Maintains work areas, equipment and facilities in a clean, orderly condition. Stocks and organizes supplies on custodial carts and closets. Requisitions supplies as needed.
- Attends and participates in scheduled in-service training.
- Performs tasks in a safe manner. Uses required personal protective equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral work instructions.
- Demonstrate an understanding of basic math necessary for proper dilution of cleaning chemicals.
- Mechanical aptitude necessary to operate powered housekeeping equipment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Various housekeeping equipment, e.g., carpet and wet vacuums, floor scrubbers, dust/wet, mops, etc.
- Continuous standing, stooping, bending, pushing, pulling, reaching and kneeling.
- Ability to lift objects up to 30 pounds, e.g., trash liners, soiled/clean linen containers, mop pails, etc.
- Ability to climb ladders.
- Use of commercial cleaning chemicals with associated odors and hazards.
MINIMUM LEVEL OF PREPARATION AND TRAINING:
- High school diploma or G.E.D.
- One to two (1-2) years of demonstrated, related work experience.
- Professional experience with floor care chemicals and equipment is preferred.
To apply, please submit resume, cover letter, and three professional references (in MS Word or PDF format only) to BBouyer@sistersosf.org. EOE.