Joseph M. Magliochetti Virtual Leadership Summit
Lourdes College of Business & Leadership hosted the rescheduled 2020 Joseph M. Magliochetti Leadership Summit on Wednesday, September 23rd at 12:00 PM. The reimagined event via Zoom featured serial entrepreneur and Ottawa Hills native, Pete Kadens. Mr. Kadens addressed the concern and importance of encouraging our northwest Ohio youth to continue in their educational pursuits to become the leaders of tomorrow.
We truly appreciate the generosity of all our sponsors and participants as the proceeds raised will support the Lourdes Endowed Chair of Business and Finance, which helps provide a values-centered education to business majors. The Summit serves as a catalyst for our region’s businesses to engage and encourage leaders to accept the challenge of leading in a socially responsible manner.
For questions or additional information, please contact Abbie Hall, Advancement Events Coordinator, at 419-824-3751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay tuned for details regarding the 9th annual Leadership Summit coming fall 2021!
Thank you to our Sponsors
2020 Keynote Speaker
Pete Kadens is a serial entrepreneur and dedicated philanthropist who currently serves as the chairman of The Kadens Family Foundation, a charitable organization dedicated to closing the pervasive wealth and education gaps in the US.
In January 2020, he pledged to cover the cost of college tuition, room, board and fees for graduating Scott seniors seeking to attend a university or trade school and will extend the same to one parent or legal guardian of each graduating student.
Kadens retired in August 2018 as CEO of Green Thumb Industries, one of the largest publicly-traded, legal cannabis operators in the US with a current market capitalization of over $2 billion. Prior to Green Thumb Industries, in 2008, he started one of the largest commercial solar companies in the US, SoCore Energy. Under his leadership, SoCore expanded operations into 17 states and was named one of Chicago’s most innovative businesses by Chicago Innovation Awards. In 2013, Kadens sold SoCore Energy to Edison International, a Fortune 500 energy holding company. He employed over 4,000 people and created billions in shareholder value over his 16-year career as a CEO.
Believing and actively leading organizations that seek to transform lives and strengthen communities, he served as a chairman of StreetWise (2009 – 2018), one of the largest homeless aid organizations in Chicago.
The Ottawa Hills native who now resides in Chicago was awarded the Trailblazer Chicago Award by The Cara Program in 2019; The Catalyst Man of the Year by Streetwise in 2015; and The Distinguished Alumnus for Citizenship in 2010 by his college alma mater, Bucknell University, where he earned his Bachelor of Arts in political science. He was also named one of the 40 Under 40 by Crain’s Chicago Business in 2012.
In 2019, he was named a Henry Crown Fellow of the Aspen Institute, a fellowship that accepts roughly 20 individuals from around the world each year who have been identified as having the capacity to create ventures that solve society’s intractable problems.
About the Summit
Sponsored by the Endowed Chair of Business & Finance, the Leadership Summit honors the work of former Chairman and CEO of the Dana Corporation, Joseph M. Magliochetti. Today, the Summit is recognized as the Toledo region’s foremost event dedicated to realizing business as a noble profession. Previous events have featured CEOs and administrators from local, national and international businesses and organizations.
In his memory, the Magliochetti family established the $500,000 Lourdes University Endowed Chair of Business and Finance will be used to provide the following transformational opportunities:
- Appointment of a Professor of Finance with the highest level of credentials, experience, and proven track record for delivering outstanding instruction and who would provide faculty leadership in teaching and research related to finance and financial issues
- Creation of a new cutting-edge Finance major that would open new career opportunities for Lourdes’ business students
- A media display on campus noting real-time movements in the stock market
- Pursuit of corporate funding for trading room technology to provide students with the latest real-world learning experiences related to finance
- Creation of the annual Joseph M. Magliochetti Leadership Summit, inviting guest speakers on financial issues of interest to our students and the broader community
Past presenters have included:
- 2020: Pete Kadens – Northwest Ohio Community Change: Improving Our Region Requires Us to Improve the Condition of Our Youth
- 2019: Michael Gibbons and Prakash Karamchandani – Innovative Entrepreneurship
- 2018: Charles Stocking and Stephen Hirzel – Creating Your Legacy
- 2017: Dr. Carolyn Yauyan Woo and Jeffrey Potter – A Driving Force of Good
- 2016: Vicki Escarra and Haley Thomas – Creating the Culture
- 2015: Eric Savage, Robert Savage Jr., and James Wesner – In Contribution to the Common Good
- 2014: Vincent C. Byrd and Dean L. Spangler – The Role of Core Values
- 2013: Mike Anderson, Hal Reed, Debbie Sauder David, and Kevin Sauder – Vocation of the Business Leader: A Reflection