Middle Childhood Education Learning Outcomes
Department of Education Learning Outcomes
Middle Childhood Education Outcomes
The Department of Education is committed to preparing students with the knowledge, skills, and dispositions needed to become competent, caring and qualified teachers and lead rich, meaningful lives.
The curriculum and clinical & field experiences of the teacher education program are designed to provide students preparing to become teachers with the opportunities to demonstrate competency in meeting the following Teacher Candidate Performance Outcomes:
- The teacher candidate will model the Franciscan values of reverence, service, and learning.
- The teacher candidate will demonstrate an understanding of subject content, developmentally appropriate teaching practices, student learning and development, assessment, and respect for diversity.
- The teacher candidate will plan developmentally appropriate and inclusive lessons that articulate clear learning goals, connect prior and future learning, and include appropriate assessment strategies that advance the learning of each individual student.
- The teacher candidate will use a variety of instructional strategies, which may incorporate the appropriate use of technology, to make content comprehensible; to promote high order thinking; and use varied assessments to inform instruction, evaluate and ensure student learning.
- The teacher candidate will create a positive and safe learning environment, incorporating consistent and appropriate standards for behavior, which respects and celebrates the diversity of all students.
- The teacher candidate will use a variety of communication methods and collaborate with students, families (parents/guardians), school personnel, and community to support student learning and development.
- The teacher candidate will engage in reflective practice to improve teaching performance and assume responsibility for professional growth, performance, and involvement as an individual and as a member of a learning community.
The Department of Education programs are designed to offer students the opportunity to achieve a liberal arts education and prepare students for the teaching profession. All programs meet the requirements as set forth by the Ohio Department of Education and the licensure requirements of the Ohio Department of Education. In order to graduate, students must meet the Lourdes University Department of Education requirements. The responsibility for meeting the goals and requirements rests with the student. Lourdes University Department of Education reserves the right to make changes to the courses of study and program requirements due to the frequent changes in national and state standards and regulations.