Step By Step Application Process
- Determine if your application falls under the Exempt or Expedited review process as outlined in the “Getting Started” section.
- Required CITI Training.
- Fill out the appropriate application in its entirety. The Verification of Exempt Application and the Application for Research Using Human Subjects Application can be found in the Forms section of the IRB homepage. Please work closely with your advisor during this process.
- Submit the electronic version of your application and all supporting documents (i.e. informed consent form) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The IRB Office will check the application for completeness. If items are missing, the investigator will be informed and asked to submit them.
- The results of the review will be communicated to the investigator (and faculty advisor, if applicable.) The investigator may respond in writing to any IRB stipulations.
- Exempt and Expedited reviews generally take 7-10 business from the time the submission of the application and all supporting documents are deemed complete.
- If an application must be reviewed by the Full IRB Committee, reviews typically take place on the first Thursday of each month during the academic year. Follow up communications will be sent to the Investigator within 7 business days of the IRB meeting. The IRB will decide whether to approve the research without modification, require modifications prior to approval, table or disapprove the research.
When the IRB has approved the research, the researcher will receive an approval letter and may begin the research. Under no circumstances may research begin until the IRB approval letter is received.