About Us – College of Nursing
The Lourdes University College of Nursing faculty believes that:
- Health is the dynamic state of physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being that is defined in the context of personal values and culture.
- Nursing is a scientific and caring profession which utilizes the most current evidence in diagnosis and treatment to optimize health, reduce risk, and promote wellness.
- Learning results in an increase in self-understanding and discovery of knowledge, values, and skills.
- Learning occurs in a supportive environment through a collaborative partnership that requires active involvement on the part of a student/learner and educator/facilitator.
- Nursing education builds on a liberal arts education to prepare generalists to practice values-based nursing within the community, fulfill leadership roles and provide evidence based nursing care.
- Masters nursing education builds upon the baccalaureate curriculum to prepare graduates for advanced nursing roles by promoting the development of advanced knowledge, concepts and skills.
College of Nursing Mission
To prepare undergraduate and graduate students in an individualized educational environment that incorporates quality nursing practice, critical thinking, leadership, diversity, and Christian ethics. Both the undergraduate and graduate programs will prepare professional nurses who are competent in providing holistic care in a variety of settings in a dynamic society. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree builds on the liberal arts tradition of the University to prepare nurse generalists who are able to practice in the community, fulfill leadership roles, and utilize research. The Master of Science in Nursing degree builds upon the baccalaureate curriculum to prepare graduates for advanced nursing roles by promoting the development of advanced education and nursing leadership, and advanced clinical practice in nurse anesthesia knowledge, concepts, and skills. Emphasis is placed on nursing theory, research, and practice to facilitate personal and professional development in an environment that reflects the University’s Franciscan values and encourages lifelong learning.
Recognized as a national leader for excellence in nursing education, Lourdes University College of Nursing graduates an innovative workforce that continuously improves quality and safety in healthcare delivery systems and exemplifies holism, ethics, diversity, community service, and Franciscan values.