Social Work (BA)
Bachelor of Arts in Social Work
Those who choose a career in social work are dedicated to improving the overall quality of life of those they serve. The social work profession addresses the quality of direct and deliverable services as well as accessibility, accountability and coordination among professionals and agencies.
As a skilled social worker, you must possess excellent communication skills and be an effective listener. Lourdes University’s liberal arts education broadens your knowledge of the world and various cultures allowing you to best serve your clients whose everyday life is presented with various emotional, mental and social challenges.
The Lourdes University Social Work, program provides students with a generalist practice curriculum based on professional standards and in collaboration with a liberal arts education. In doing so, the program provides curriculum that builds on the liberal arts perspective that promotes breadth of knowledge, critical thinking, and communication skills.
The program advances the knowledge, values and skills that are essential to the practice of any social worker. Students receive a well-integrated body of knowledge that includes training in bio-psycho-social and spiritual assessment. Students learn to apply knowledge and skills of a generalist social work practice with diverse and at-risk populations. Social work majors are prepared to use theoretical frameworks and research strategies to evaluate the process and effectiveness of social work practice. A significant focus of the program is the enhancement of human well-being in order to alleviate poverty, oppression and other forms of social injustice. Students prepare to practice without discrimination and to apply strategies of advocacy and social change that advance social and economic justice.
Graduates from our professionally accredited program qualify to take the Ohio state licensure exam (LSW). Social work alumni also qualify for acceptance into graduate accredited social work programs with advanced standing status. This means the chance to earn an MSW in just one year – depending on the particular program.
Social Work Minor and Dual Major Available
- Students can pursue a Social Work minor. See Program of Study for curriculum.
- For those interested in pursuing a career in criminal justice, students can choose to strengthen opportunities for employment with a dual major in criminal justice.
Learn more about the social work major and the College of Social Sciences.
The Department of Social Work at Lourdes University is accredited through the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE), and has successfully maintained accreditation as an undergraduate social work program through CSWE since 1992.
Department of Social Work Resources
Program Admissions Materials
The mission of the Social Work program is to educate baccalaureate social work students and to provide the knowledge, values and skills necessary to engage in generalist social work practice. Through a liberal arts education based in the Franciscan tradition, graduates of the program are prepared to:
- Engage in critical thinking that includes examination of his/her personal values
- Advocate for human rights and social justice
- Commit to professional growth and development
Program Assessment and Evaluation
- Program Review 2019
- Program Evaluation Chart and Data Sources
- Assessment of Student Learning Outcomes
- Evaluative Summary for 2020-21
- Evaluative Summary for 2021-22
- 100% job placement for social work graduates within 3 months of graduation in 2014, 2015 and 2016
- Top 15 percentile pass rate on State of Ohio licensure exam for social work graduates in 2015