Education Certificate & Endorsement Programs
Educators in Toledo, northwest Ohio and southeast Michigan can choose to pursue one of two graduate certificate programs.
Early Childhood Generalist Endorsement Graduate Certificate Program for Educators
Offered this summer (May 20, 2019 – July 27, 2019) the 9 credit hour (3 class) 4-5 Generalist Endorsement, can be completed by July 27, 2019.
- This endorsement will enable Early Childhood (Pre-K through Grade 3) licensed teachers to meet the requirements necessary to additionally teach Grades 4 and 5.
- The endorsement may only be added to an Early Childhood License.
- Offered in a hybrid model (combination face-to-face and online) the courses are designed for working adults.
Teachers successfully completing the coursework will be eligible to sit for the Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE) Elementary Education Exam (018/019) with a score of 220 or better on each section.
- Students must also complete a field experience which may include but is not limited to: summer camps, after school programs, summer school, tutoring, substitute teaching in grades 4 and 5.
- Three courses for the Ohio 4-5 Endorsement
- Designed for teachers with a State of Ohio Pre-K3 Early Childhood Teaching License
- Qualifies teachers who earn a score of 143 on the Praxis II Test in Elementary Education Content to receive an Elementary Generalist Grades 4-5 endorsement
EDU 675 Pedagogy and Development in Young Adolescence
EDU 676 Content and Pedagogy: Mathematics and Science in Grades 4 and 5
EDU 677 Concepts and Pedagogy: Social Studies and Language Arts in Grades 4 and 5
P-12 Reading Endorsement Graduate Certificate Program for Educators
The P-12 Reading Endorsement at Lourdes University will enhance the knowledge and instructional skills in reading and writing of licensed teachers. The endorsement courses will prepare educators to teach reading to all students at any grade level. The 15-credit hour endorsement courses are offered at the graduate level and, if desired, students may transition seamlessly into a full Master’s degree.
- The endorsement courses may also be used to renew a current teaching license.
- Designed for licensed teachers who wish to add the Reading Endorsement to their current teaching license, the program is geared towards working adults with busy lives.
Start the endorsement this summer (week of June 24, 2019) and finish the necessary courses in three semesters. The endorsement may be added to a current teaching license after successfully completing the required coursework and passing the two required Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE) sub-tests (test numbers 038 and 039).
- Designed for teachers wishing to become an expert in the teaching of reading
- Applies to both classroom and resource settings
- Includes five literacy courses that qualified licensed teachers who pass the Introduction to the Teaching of Reading Praxis II for a State of Ohio Endorsement in Reading
- Includes 100 clinical hours
EDU 640 Literacy Foundations and Strategies
EDU 641 Phonics and Applied Word Study
EDU 642 Reading and Writing in the P-12 Classroom
EDU 643 Literacy Assessment, Diagnosis and Intervention
EDU 644 Practicum: Professionalism in Clinical Literacy Practice