Bachelor of Science in Nursing Degree (B.S.N.)
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing Degree (B.S.N.) information provided is from the Lourdes University 2022-23 Academic Catalog. Lourdes students should consult the academic catalog for the year they started their program. Current and past Academic Catalogs can be viewed at: https://www.lourdes.edu/academics/academic-calendar-schedules/
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (B.S.N.) prepares technically competent, professional practitioners of nursing through a program of study in the liberal arts and the science and art of nursing. A separate application is required for admission to the upper division major in nursing. R.N. B.S.N. applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher to be eligible to enter the major.
Admission for Traditional Pre-licensure students who meet the following requirements:
- Admitted to Lourdes University
- Completes prerequisites to the Nursing major
- Achieves a C or better in natural science courses with a cumulative science GPA of 2.75
- Achieves a prerequisite GPA of 2.5 or better
To graduate with a B.S.N., all students must complete a minimum of 120 semester hours.
For pre-licensure BSN students, continuation in the nursing major is contingent upon achieving a C- or better in each course and maintaining a 2.5 G.P.A. in the nursing major. R.N. to B.S.N. students are required to maintain a 2.0 G.P.A. in the nursing major.
B.S.N. Degree Requirements:
Students must complete a minimum of 120 semester hours and meet all the required General Education/Core courses, Prerequisite courses, and nursing major courses to achieve a B.S.N.
Required Curriculum & Semester Hours
- Nursing = 60 s.h.
- Core, General Education, and Prerequisite Courses = 60-67 s.h.
Courses marked with + have a prerequisite.
LUC College Connections (refer to academic catalog) – as required
- ENG 101 = 3 s.h.
- ENG 355 = 3 s.h.
- MTH 212+ = 3 s.h.
Cultural Competency Requirement
- PHL 101 or 103 = 3 s.h.
- Enduring Questions Seminar = 2-3 s.h.
Service-Learning component is partially met in the major with:
- NUR 265 & NUR 490/491 = 3 s.h.
Capstone requirement is met in the major: NUR 490 Capstone:
Professional Nursing (for pre-licensure BSN) = 3 s.h.
NUR 491 RN Professional Capstone (R.N.-B.S.N. students) = 3 s.h.
Any HST course = 3 s.h.
Any literature course listed in Core & General Education
PHL 310+ = 3 s.h.
Theology (refer to academic catalog) = 6 s.h.
Fine Art = 3 s.h.
Any one of the following:
- Any Music course or ART course, except ART 302
Natural Science = 4 s.h.
- BIO 330/BIO 330+ Anatomy & Physiology I/lab
Social Science = 3 s.h.
- PSY 110 General Psychology: An Overview
Additional Prerequisite Courses for the Nursing Major:
- BIO 331/BIL 331+ Anatomy & Physiology II/lab = 3/1 s.h.
- BIO 335 General Microbiology = 3 s.h.
- BIO 340+ Pathophysiology = 3 s.h.
- BIO 313 Nutrition = 3 s.h.
- CHM 140/CHL 140+ General, Organic & Biological Chemistry/lab = 3/1 s.h.
- PSY 210 Developmental Psychology-Life Span + = 3 s.h.