Cap and Gown Instructions
All graduates should have completed the order form for their cap and gown that was included in the graduation application packet. Caps and gowns can be picked up from the Lourdes Bookstore beginning December 5. Bookstore hours are Monday through Thursday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Friday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.; and Saturdays 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. PLEASE NOTE: Caps and gowns MUST be picked up by NOON on Tuesday, December 18. All graduates must wear their cap and gown for the baccalaureate and commencement ceremonies. Graduate students should bring their hood for Graduate Commencement. Since there is not a secure place to store purses and other valuables, graduates are advised to lock such valuables in the car or leave them with family members.
- Gowns – Should be worn zipped to the top with the zipper locked. For women, the gown should cover the skirt, if possible. Graduates should wear dark dress shoes.
- Mortarboard – The correct way to wear a mortarboard (cap) is on the top of the head, with the “board” parallel to the floor, flat on top of the head, (not hanging off the back of the head). The tassel is worn on the right side for the liturgy and the beginning of the commencement ceremony. At the end of the commencement ceremony, graduates will be directed to move their tassels to the left side of their caps.
- Master Hoods – Masters candidates will carry their hoods over their right arms during the processional. Staff will be on hand to ensure the hoods are folded appropriately. Do not bring hoods to Baccalaureate.
- Gold Tassels – Undergraduates having a GPA of 3.5 or higher are eligible to wear the gold honors tassel. Gold tassels may be picked up in the Registrar’s Office at the following times: Monday, December 10: 9 AM – 6 PM; Friday December 14th: 9 AM – 4 PM; and Monday, December 17: 9 AM -7 PM. (The Graduate School does not have an Honors designation; therefore, gold tassels are not awarded to graduate students.
PLEASE NOTE: GOLD TASSELS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE ON DECEMBER 19. IF YOU DO NOT PICK UP YOUR GOLD TASSEL PRIOR TO COMMENCEMENT, YOU WILL NEED TO WEAR THE BLACK TASSEL (included in your cap/gown package) FOR COMMENCEMENT AND PICK UP THE GOLD TASSEL AT A LATER DATE.
- Honor Society Members – Honor Societies each have their own distinctive stole, cord, or pin. Check with your advisor on how these can be obtained.