Graduate and Undergraduate Commencement
December 2018 COMMENCEMENT EXERCISES
Graduate and Undergraduate
Wednesday, December 19, 2018
Franciscan Center Theater
Lourdes University Campus
Sylvania, Ohio 43560
GRADUATES SHOULD REPORT TO THE FRANCISCAN CENTER GYM
FOR CHECK-IN and LINE UP. Please arrive no later than 6:15.
TICKET INFORMATION: Due to limited seating at the Franciscan Center Theater, tickets for ALL guests will be REQUIRED. FIVE TICKETS PER GRADUATE WILL BE ALLOCATED (no exceptions).
Tickets will be available in The Registrar’s Office, Saint Clare Hall (SCH) 139, on the following days and times:
- Monday, December 10: 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Friday, December 14: 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Monday, December 17: 9:00 AM – 7:00 PM
Graduates must pick up their own tickets in person; proof of identification will be required. No replacements will be issued for lost or stolen tickets.
BRING YOUR CAP, TASSEL**, GOWN, with you to the Franciscan Center Gym for line-up. Arrive no later than 6:15 PM.
** REMINDER: GOLD HONOR TASSELS are awarded to undergraduates only and MUST BE PICKED UP AHEAD OF TIME at the Registrar’s Office, beginning December 10, 2018, at the times listed above (same day/times as ticket pick up). The Registrar’s Office will have the list of those who qualify for an Honors Tassel.
NO GOLD HONOR TASSELS WILL BE AVAILABLE ON DECEMBER 19. If you forget to pick up your gold honors tassel, you will need to wear the standard black tassel for the ceremony on December 19.
Accessibility Accommodations for GRADUATES
Any graduate needing special accommodations for the procession and seating should contact Teddi Moorman at Lourdes as soon as possible at 419-824-3837. She will make arrangements to meet you and go through the details of using the accessibility ramp and going across the stage to receive your diploma.
Accessibility Accommodations for GUESTS
There will be limited accessible seating at the Franciscan Center Theater.
1. Graduates should report to Franciscan Center Gymnasium for Check In and Line Up no later than 6:15 PM. Volunteers will be on hand to assist you. There will be tables located at the front of the gym (by the FC Commons doors). Guests are not permitted in the Gym for Line Up.
2. Leave your purse, coats, CELLPHONES and other belongings with family or friends.
3. Report to the table that has the first letter of your last name, i.e. A-E; F-J; K-P; Q -Z.
4. You will be given a card stating your name, college and the degree being awarded. The card will be color-coded to match the sign for your college in the line-up areas. Your college is listed on your card.
- Orange – College of Arts & Sciences
- Navy – College of Nursing
- Green – College of Business & Leadership
- Purple – College of Social Services
Please write the phonetic spelling of your name on the space provided on the card when you check in.
Report to the people stationed at your college sign in the line-up area. They will put you into the procession line-up. Please stay lined up inside the rope & stanchions until the procession begins.
IMPORTANT: Because we do live diplomas, it is imperative that you stay in order. Please do not leave the lineup area once you have been placed to ensure that you receive the correct diploma!
Keep your card with you at all times. You must take your card to the stage. You must hand your card to the person at the top of the stairs.
PROCESSION – THE PROCESSION FORMS IN THIS ORDER:
- Faculty Marshal
- Stage Party
- Ushers will be on hand to help direct graduates to the appropriate assigned seat. Commencement programs for graduates will be available at the seat. Graduates should not carry anything during the procession except the information card handed to them at line-up. When graduates arrive in their seats, they remain standing until after the invocation and the National Anthem.
UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE CANDIDATES
Undergraduate degrees will be conferred and graduates will receive their degrees in the following order:
- AA, BA & BS in Arts & Sciences
- BA & BS in Business & Leadership
- BS in Nursing
- BA & BS in Social Sciences
Masters DEGREE CANDIDATES
Graduate degrees will be conferred and graduates will receive their degrees in the following order:
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Education
- Master of Organizational Leadership
- Master of Science in Nursing
Dr. Gawelek will confer all degrees. Graduates will be asked to stand, by degree and college. Ushers will direct the graduates to the stairs at the right side of the stage. The rest of the degrees will follow in the same manner. Ushers will be at the bottom of the stairs to provide assistance. Candidates will move up the stairs to the stage, hand their pre-printed card (the one given out at line-up) to the person at the top of the stairs and proceed to shake hands with the Dean of the respective college. The graduate will continue across the stage and receive the diploma folder from Dr. Gawelek, and pose for a graduation photo. Graduates leave the stage by the stairs at the left. Graduates should return to their previous seat and be seated.
Once all degrees have been received, the Alumni Association President will give an Alumni welcome, followed by the benediction. The University Chorale will lead the singing of the Song of Lourdes (words and music will be in the program.) Dr. Gawelek will ask the graduates to stand and she will present the December Graduating Class of 2018 to the audience. At this time, undergraduates will be instructed to move their tassels from the right side to the left side of the mortar board.
The recessional will begin immediately after the Master of Ceremonies thanks everyone for coming. The order for the recessional is:
- Faculty Marshal
- Platform Party
- Faculty/Staff (double line)
- Graduates (double line)
It is essential that all graduates keep moving while leaving the auditorium in procession. Please do not stop in the reception area, otherwise an unsafe traffic jam will occur. Please ask your guests to remain seated until the procession is completed and then meet you outside the Rec Center, or in the Reception Area.
Any issues regarding your diploma should be addressed to the Registrar’s Office (419-824-3817).
INSTRUCTIONS FOR GUESTS
Commencement will take place the Franciscan Center Theater and will last approximately 1-1/2 hours. Doors to the Theater will open at 6:00 PM. ALL GUESTS ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE TICKETS (no exceptions). Each graduate will be allocated five tickets. Families and guests should find seats in the gymnasium at this time. Limited special (accessible) seating will be available. Guests needing special seating should arrive early and be seated by 6:45 when the doors to the Theater will close for the graduate procession. Guests who arrive after 6:45 and need accessible seating will have to wait to be seated until after the graduates have processed.
A NOTE ABOUT STROLLERS: NO STROLLERS ARE ALLOWED INSIDE THE THEATRE. There will be a space allocated for strollers in the Commons Area.
Parking areas will be designated on campus.
At approximately 6:45 p.m., the doors to the Rec Center will be closed to guests in order to facilitate the procession of graduates, faculty and staff. Please do not congregate around the procession area. Security personnel will be posted in this area to keep the aisles clear. Guests are asked to remain in their seats for the entire ceremony. The ceremony will last approximately 1-1/2 hours.