People celebrating

Many on-campus departments receive funds from Lourdes University to employ students. Students who are not eligible for Federal Work Study (FWS) can still work on campus. Inquire with the hiring campus department or the Career Services Office to determine your eligibility to work with a department on campus.

Frequently, the Lourdes University Career Services staff receives questions from students about how to be employed while attending school. Students who find employment during school may be employed under Federal Work Study or Departmental budgets.

Is all on campus employment for FWS?
No. Students who are not eligible for Federal Work Study can still apply for on-campus student employment jobs.

Who are eligible for on-campus student employment jobs?
Any undergraduate student enrolled full time at Lourdes University.

Are all student employment positions on-campus?
Most positions are held primarily on the Lourdes University campus to provide a convenient way for students to work in college.  In some departments, students may interact with community partners to complete projects to bring back to campus.

Where can I look for FWS and on campus student employment supported by department funds?
Handshake is the primary source for locating both Federal work study and on campus student employment jobs. Follow the directions for Handshake, Career Services online career and internship database to set up your account and discover potential jobs.

How do I get paid?
You will receive a biweekly paycheck; the money you earn may be applied to your tuition bill, books, or other living expenses.

Federal Work Study Funds

Students who demonstrate financial need based on their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) may be eligible for Federal Work Study (FWS). Obtaining an FWS position is very competitive at Lourdes University.

What is FWS?
This is a program overseen by the U.S. Department of Education.  Whether you are an undergraduate, graduate, or professional student—attending school full or part time—you may be eligible for federal work study employment.

How do I know if I am eligible?
To find out if you qualify for Federal Work-Study employment, you need to have filled out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  On the FAFSA, check that “you are interested in Federal Work Study.”  Upon receiving your results from the U.S. Department of Education, the Financial Aid Office will package you with FWS if you are eligible on a first come, first serve basis.  If you believe there is an error in processing, contact the Financial Aid Office.

Are all FWS employment opportunities on-campus?
On-campus employment opportunities are oftentimes the most well-known and accessible job prospects in the program. However, many jobs at nonprofits or local public agencies may also be listed as Federal Work Study.

Is placement guaranteed?  What if I don’t get the job?
You are not guaranteed a job—there is an application process.  Job postings are always being added, so if you don’t get the job, keep checking back for new postings.  Please contact the supervisor of the position with your resume and any other required materials.

HandShake Tutorial

Log onto Using your Lourdes Username and Password
Click on Jobs
Filter On Campus jobs
View the Jobs
Attach your resume and click apply

Do I need a resume?
When applying for all on-campus and Federal work study employment positions you will need a resume. Below is a list of resume and cover letter templates.

Sample Resumes


Student Employment Positions

  • Internships
  • Part Time or Summer Jobs

Local employers will typically advertise for part-time or seasonal positions on Handshake. To stay up-to-date on job openings, look for email alerts and create an account on Handshake.

For local opportunities please check out this list of jobs within 1-5 miles of campus.