Pink piggy bank with question marks in the background on green chalkboard

General Information

What if I have changes in my financial circumstances or other extenuating circumstances?

Lourdes University recognizes that an unexpected change in family income or an unplanned expense can have a direct impact on your ability to attend Lourdes University. For specific information on usual types of special circumstances, refer to Lourdes Special Conditions Appeal Form. If you feel you have extenuating circumstances that could affect you or your family’s ability to pay for your education, contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss the situation. If it is determined that a review of your eligibility is warranted, you must submit a Special Conditions Appeal Letter with any appropriate supporting documentation explaining the situation. Please keep in mind that an approval of Special Conditions does not always increase your eligibility for additional assistance.

What is verification?

Verification is the process schools use to review a student’s Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for accuracy. This is accomplished by collecting and comparing documents used to complete the FAFSA. The federal government randomly selects applicants for the verification process. Lourdes University may select additional students for verification.

If you are selected for verification, the Financial Aid Office sends you a notification explaining what additional documents are needed, including Tax Return transcripts and W2 forms. Once you have submitted all required documentation, your file will be reviewed. If our office has additional questions, we may contact you for further information. Based on the review of your information, our office will make the necessary corrections to your FAFSA. Your award is considered an estimated award until the verification process is complete.

It is the student’s responsibility to reply to our requests for information. We are unable to disburse any financial aid until all documents have been received and reviewed. Failure to respond to our requests will result in a delay in processing financial aid and possible loss of certain types of aid.

What is the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy?

Federal regulations require Lourdes University to establish and implement a policy to measure if a financial assistance applicant is making satisfactory progress toward a degree or certificate. Satisfactory academic progress is measured by evaluating three criteria:

  • Qualitative Progress (GPA Requirement)
  • Quantitative Progress (Quantity of Work Completed)
  • Progress toward your degree (Program Completion Requirements)These criteria evaluate: the quality and quantity of the academic work you complete and progress toward completion of your academic program. The satisfactory academic progress requirements listed below are minimum standards. Students are encouraged to exceed all of the requirements whenever possible.
    Recipients of federal student aid are expected to meet the Lourdes University Satisfactory Academic Progress Criteria. Failure to do so may result in denial of federal financial aid funds. Briefly, the policy requires that aid recipients satisfactorily complete a percentage of courses attempted, complete a degree program in a reasonable amount of time, and achieve and maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher after four semesters of attendance.

A formal review of each recipient’s academic transcript for the entire time the individual has been enrolled at Lourdes University is conducted at least once per year.

Please see the Lourdes University Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for complete details.

Programs Governed by this Policy
Funds affected by this policy include all applicable federal, state, and college administered funds including but not limited to Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Direct Stafford Loans, Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS), Federal Work Study, State Scholarship and Grant programs, all scholarships administered and/or provided by Lourdes University.

Minimum Cumulative Credit Hours Completion
Financial aid recipients must satisfactorily complete a minimum standard of cumulative credit hours attempted. Courses are not satisfactorily completed if a grade of F, FA, I, U, DR, AU, or WD is assigned. Every semester for which a student registers is evaluated, including those in which the student did not receive federal financial aid.

Repeated Courses
Financial aid will be awarded when a student is permitted by University policy to repeat a course for credit or inclusion in grade point average calculation. Repeated courses are included in determining satisfactory academic progress.

Reinstatement of Financial Aid Eligibility
Students who do not maintain satisfactory academic progress shall lose their eligibility for financial aid and may only regain eligibility by eliminating all satisfactory progress deficiencies at their own expense or by appealing their satisfactory academic progress status.

Students who have been denied financial aid based on this policy have the right to appeal to the Financial Aid Office. The appeal process is outlined in a letter sent to students whose aid has been terminated and is also outlined in the Policy.

What if I would like others, such as my parents, to speak to the Financial Aid Office on my behalf?

Your financial aid data is confidential and will be discussed only with you and other University offices and agencies as permitted under federal law. If you want other persons or agencies to have access to your financial aid information, you must complete a Release of Information Statement (PDF) to be kept on file by the Registrar’s Office. The release statement is active until otherwise notified by the student.

Can I get financial aid if I study abroad?

Financial Aid is available to eligible students in an approved study abroad program. The type and amounts of aid available depend on the student’s individual eligibility. For more information contact the Advising Office and request to speak with the Study Abroad Advisor.

Glossary of Terms

Financial Aid Guide

Types of Aid


Grants are considered gift aid and do not need to be repaid. They are usually determined by the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Visit our Grants page to learn more!


Borrowing student loans can be viewed as an investment in one’s future to help you obtain your degree. Please also remember to borrow wisely as all borrowed loan funds must be repaid. Direct PLUS Loans and Private Loans are other options which can be pursued if students need additional funds to help cover their educational costs. Visit our Loans page to learn more!


Scholarships can come from a variety of different resources, and do not need to be repaid. They can be based on merit (GPA), financial need, program of study, and other factors. Visit our Scholarships section to learn more!

Federal Work Study

FWS (federal work study) is a source of federally funded, need-based financial aid whereby eligible students can search for and obtain a job working on or off campus at a pre-determined FWS location.


What is Expected Family Contribution (EFC)?

Your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is based on the data you provided on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). It is the amount that the U.S. Department of Education calculates that you (and your spouse or parents, if applicable) should be able to contribute to your education that academic year. It also determines your eligibility for federal and state grants. A federally mandated formula considers your (and your spouse’s or parents’, if applicable) taxable and nontaxable income, taxes paid, assets, household size, and number of family members in college.

How is my eligibility for student financial aid calculated?

Financial Need: Your financial need is the amount that remains after your EFC is subtracted from the estimated cost of attendance. If the resulting calculation is a positive figure, then you are considered to have financial need. Lourdes University will attempt to package up to the full amount of your tuition based on enrollment. However, this may not always be possible due to your specific financial need, as determined by the results of your FAFSA. If your EFC is higher than the estimated cost of attendance, you are not eligible for need-based aid, but you may qualify for other types of non-need based aid.

What is the cost of attendance for one year at Lourdes University?

Estimated Costs: Calculating your eligibility for financial aid begins with determining your cost of attendance. Because actual costs vary from student to student, the Financial Aid Office uses average costs. Your cost of attendance is determined by calculating your anticipated place of residence (i.e., living off-campus vs. living with parent) for the award year. Your cost of attendance contains both direct and indirect educational costs. Direct costs generally include Lourdes University charges for tuition and fees. Indirect costs generally include books and supplies, transportation costs, a personal allowance, and room and board. For current Tuition costs, please see our Tuition & Fees page.

How is my financial aid packaged?

Once your financial need is determined, a financial aid package consisting of a combination of grants, scholarships, loans, or work-study is created to assist with your costs. Your financial aid package is on your Financial Aid Award or subsequent Revised Award(s). You can view the award on your Web for Students account.

Related to this process is a basic assumption of the federal student aid programs, which assumes that the student and, in the case of dependent students, the student’s parents, have first responsibility to pay for educational costs.

What could cause changes to my financial aid award?

  • As required by federal, state and institutional guidelines, revision of your financial aid award may occur if:
  • You were selected for verification and completion of the verification process changes your eligibility. In verification, the Financial Aid Office must check the accuracy of the data you reported on your FAFSA (see Verification above);
  • Your aid was based on inaccurate information (e.g., estimated income data or incorrect grade level);
  • The Financial Aid Office or another agency made an error in determining your eligibility for, or disbursement of, your financial aid;
  • The amount of aid awarded to you exceeds the amount allowable under federal, state and/or institutional guidelines;
  • You have not met satisfactory academic progress requirements;
  • You have failed to meet enrollment, grade point average, participation, or other conditions required by a specific award;
  • You have dropped classes or withdrawn from the University;

It Could Happen! Federal, state and institutional guidelines affecting financial aid programs can change during the academic year.

If your aid has been credited to your student account, when required, you will be responsible for partial or full repayment of the funds, regardless of the reason for adjustment.

What if I am receiving other forms of financial assistance?

What if I am receiving other forms of financial assistance, such as outside scholarships, AmeriCorps/VISTA, employer tuition assistance or employer reimbursement?

Students who receive any other forms of financial assistance to help pay for their education expenses must, by law, report these outside funds to Lourdes Financial Aid Office. These could include, but are not limited to, outside (non-Lourdes) scholarships, AmeriCorps/VISTA, employer tuition assistance (i.e., employer reimbursement). These amounts are used to calculate the financial aid package and may replace other self-help aid sources to ensure that a student’s financial aid package does not exceed the Cost of Attendance. Scholarships and grants that are not based on federal or state programs must be included in your financial aid package regardless of the source or method of payment (voucher, direct payment, or applied to your student account).

Disbursement & Refunds

What is a Master Promissory Note (MPN)?

When you receive a Federal Direct Stafford Loan (or PLUS loan) for the first time, you must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN). The MPN is a legal document in which you promise to repay your loan and any accrued interest and fees to the Department of Education. It also explains the terms and conditions of your loan. In most cases, one MPN can be used for loans that you receive over several years of study. Go to to complete your MPN.

What is Entrance Counseling?

Before Lourdes can disburse Federal Direct Stafford Subsidized or Unsubsidized Loans, regulations require that you complete an entrance counseling session. The counseling session provides information about how to manage your student loans, both during and after college. Go to to complete entrance counseling.

When will my financial aid disburse and when will I receive a refund, if eligible?

The financial aid process must be complete before aid can disburse.

PLEASE NOTE: Federal Direct Stafford Loans are applied to tuition and fees charges first.

  • Only Federal Direct Stafford Loans can be applied to your student account charges before the Freeze date of each semester. If you are a federal student loan recipient, your Federal Direct Stafford Loan may be applied to your account (no earlier than) 10 days prior to the start of the semester, and only if your financial aid process is completed in time. If your Federal Direct Stafford Loan is disbursed prior to the start of the semester, and if the disbursed amount (by itself) is greater than your student account charges, you may then receive a refund from the Student Accounts Office in the amount of the credit balance. View your student account at the Lourdes Portal to see if your “manual refund” has been processed. Checks are usually available 3-4 days after your “manual refund” has been processed.
  • All other aid (grants, scholarships, Perkins loans, waivers, etc.) will be applied to your account (if all requirements have been met) after the Freeze date, when your enrollment has been confirmed and all applicable charges, including book vouchers, have been added. Refunds, due to the payment of other aid, are processed by the Student Accounts Office if your aid is greater than your student charges. Your refund will not be available until 7-10 business days after the Freeze date. Again you can View your student account at the Lourdes Portal to see if your “manual refund” has been processed. Checks are usually available 3-4 days after your “manual refund” has been processed.

The Ohio College Opportunity Grant is disbursed after funds are received from the State. This will be after the Freeze date, and it could be after all your other aid has disbursed, depending on when you show up on the state roster.

What if I do not have enough financial aid to cover my bill?

If your aid is not enough to cover all charges, you must pay the balance in the Cashier’s Office or make payment arrangements with Student Accounts. Contact the Student Accounts Office regarding the installment payment plan and other payment arrangements.

How do I get a book voucher?

If you have completed the financial aid process and you are expecting to receive a refund check, you may be eligible to participate in the Book Voucher program. Vouchers are issued by the Student Accounts Office for up to $500, depending on the actual refund amount determined. Book vouchers can be used for anything in the campus bookstore, and must be used on the day of issuance. Bookstore charges will be automatically deducted from your anticipated refund check.

Remember to be considered for a book voucher you must:

  • Have the financial aid process completed at Lourdes. This includes the FAFSA and any documents requested by Lourdes Financial Aid Office (FAO). The FAO notifies students of required documents either by mail, email, or on the portal at “Web for Students.”
  • In addition to the above two items, Transfer students must have all aid cancelled at their previous school. Contact the school you attended to ensure this is completed. You cannot receive federal and state aid from more than one school at a time – It’s the Law!

Payment Plan Options

There are two Lourdes Payment Plan options.

  • Annual payment plan – Divides outstanding account balance for academic year into 10 monthly payments. The first payment is due by the first day of fall classes.
  • Semester payment plan – Divides outstanding account balance for semester into 5 monthly payments. The first payment is due by the first day of the semester.

Click to learn about Lourdes Payment Plan Options


What is the Financial Aid Freeze Date?

Prior to the Financial Aid Freeze Date, you must be registered and in-attendance for all the courses in the applicable semester that you wish to use financial aid. At the Financial Aid Freeze, aid is reviewed and adjusted, if required, based on enrollment as of the last day to add or drop at 100% refund. On the Freeze Date and beyond, adding a class will not change financial aid. Therefore, for all summer sessions and part of term sessions (e.g. Q session) students must be registered prior to the Financial Aid Freeze Date to be considered for aid for those classes.

Enrollment changes must be completed with your advisor prior to the Freeze Date for the applicable term.

For courses that do not start until later in the semester (part-of-term), you must be registered for the course(s) if you wish to receive aid for it. If you register for a part-of-term course, receive aid based on that enrollment, and then do not attend, your aid will be adjusted and you may end up owing the University money. If you are not enrolled for a course prior to the freeze date, and later register for a part-of-term course, you will NOT receive financial aid for it.  NOTE: Anytime your aid is changed you will be notified through the Award Letter process.

  • Summer Session and Accelerated Schedule refund information is available in the Student Accounts Office.
  • Verification of Drop/Withdrawal must be on file in the Registrar’s Office. Contact your advisor or the Registrar for proper procedure to follow.
  • Information regarding the federal government’s policy for return of Title IV Federal Student Aid (if applicable) is available in the Student Accounts Office. If you have questions or wish to receive a copy of the Title IV refund policy, the Student Accounts Office can be reached at (419) 824-3696 or (800) 878-3210, ext. 3696.

What are the enrollment requirements to receive my financial aid?

You are expected to participate in the classes in which you enroll, and to complete all course requirements. If you do not, your aid may be reduced or cancelled, and you may be required to repay funds provided to you. If it is necessary for you to cancel or discontinue your enrollment in a course(s), it is your responsibility to follow all official University procedures. Consult with your academic advisor for specific instructions. Minimum enrollment requirements for several of the major aid programs are described below.

What happens if I withdraw from a class?

Because changes to your class schedule can have a dramatic effect on your aid eligibility, it is crucial that you meet with your academic advisor and consult with the Student Accounts Office and Financial Aid Office to consider all implications of making such a decision before you drop any of your classes or withdraw from all of your classes. Withdrawing from a class (or classes) can affect your financial aid, and you could owe the University money.

Additionally, if you are receiving financial aid, dropping classes or withdrawing from all classes may also affect your satisfactory academic progress* for financial aid in the future. This could result in an adjustment or cancellation of your federal financial aid awards for future periods of enrollment. (*See the Satisfactory Academic Progress section of the FAQs for more information.)

What happens if I completely withdraw or stop attending during a semester?

When you reduce your enrollment to zero credit hours, you have withdrawn from Lourdes University. If you withdraw, federal regulations require the University to determine if any portion of your financial aid, including financial aid funds applied to your account, is refundable and which portion of any refund needs to be returned to the financial aid programs from which you received assistance. Contact your Academic Advisor or the Registrar to Withdraw.

Calculating refunds depends on several factors. To begin, your date of withdrawal must be established. Instructions for completing the withdrawal process can be found in the Lourdes University Catalog and by consulting with your academic advisor. If you complete the official withdrawal process, the refund calculation will be based on the date your withdrawal activity is recorded by the University. If you do not officially withdraw, but it is determined that you stopped participating in all of your classes, the refund calculation will be based on either the date reported by your instructor(s) as your last date of participation, or the last date for which there is evidence that you were still participating in class, e.g., completed an assignment, took an exam, etc. Federal law specifies how Lourdes University must determine the amount of federal program assistance that you earn if you withdraw. When you withdraw during a semester, the law requires the Financial Aid Office to use the Title IV Return of Funds calculation to determine the amount of aid you have earned up to your withdrawal date.

Lourdes University and the student are both responsible for returning unearned federal financial aid to the appropriate programs. The University must return the lesser of 1) the total amount of unearned aid, or 2) your institutional charges multiplied by the unearned percentage. The student must return any remaining unearned aid not returned by Lourdes University. Any loan funds that you must return will be repaid in accordance with the terms of the promissory note. That is, you make scheduled payments to the holder of the loan over a period of time.

You will be billed for any amount due to Lourdes University resulting from the return of federal aid funds used to cover tuition and fees. Additional information regarding the refund policy and the calculation used to determine the amount of earned and unearned federal aid is available by contacting the Financial Aid Office.

Lourdes University students who receive federal financial aid and do not complete their classes may be responsible to repay a portion of the aid received according to federal law. The Financial Aid Office (FAO) is supplying the following information to help you better understand what could happen if you withdraw or stop attending classes before the end of the enrollment period.

What is the law?
As part of the Higher Education Amendments of 1998, Congress passed new regulations governing what must happen to your federal financial aid if you completely withdraw from your courses during the enrollment period. The Lourdes University Financial Aid Office must calculate how much federal financial aid you have earned if you withdraw or stop attending before completing 60% of the enrollment period. Federal financial aid covered under this regulation includes the Federal Pell Grant, Federal SEOG, Federal Direct Stafford Subsidized Loan, Federal Direct Stafford Unsubsidized Loan, Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS), and TEACH.

Who does this regulation apply to?
This regulation applies to students who receive federal financial aid and who withdraw or stop attending classes before completing 60% of the enrollment period.

How the financial aid you earn is calculated?
If you receive federal financial aid you must “earn” the aid received by staying enrolled in school. The amount of federal financial aid assistance you earn is determined on a pro-rated basis. If you withdraw or stop attending classes during the enrollment period, you may be required to return some of the financial aid you were awarded. For example, if you complete 30% of the semester, you earn 30% of the aid you originally were scheduled to receive. This means that 70% of your scheduled awards remain unearned and must be returned to the federal government.

If you would like to see the detailed formula that explains the refund calculation, please visit the Financial Aid Office and request a copy of the Return to Title IV Worksheet.

What is the withdrawal date?
When you reduce your enrollment to zero credit hours after the Freeze Date, you have withdrawn from Lourdes University. Instructions for completing the withdrawal process can be found on the Academics page of the Lourdes University website or by consulting with your academic advisor or the Registrar. If you complete the official withdrawal process, the refund calculation will be based on the date your withdrawal activity is recorded in the Lourdes University computer system by your academic advisor. If you do not officially withdraw, but it is determined that you stopped participating in all of your classes, the calculation is based on either the date reported by your instructor(s) as your last date of participation or the last date for which the instructor(s) determines that there is evidence that you were still participating in class, e.g., completed an assignment, took an exam, etc.

When should I withdraw?
The timing of your decision to withdraw should not be based on the impact to your financial aid. You should contact your Academic Advisor and/or Instructor to discuss the reason(s) for your decision to withdraw as well as the academic consequences of your decision. Any required adjustments to your financial aid will be based on the withdrawal date as described above. The Financial Aid Office cannot perform the withdrawal calculations until your withdrawal date is determined by your academic advisor. There is a deadline each semester by which you must be withdrawn in order to avoid being assigned a grade. Check with your advisor for that date.

Who returns the unearned funds?
Lourdes University and the student are both responsible for returning unearned funds to the appropriate programs in specific loan/grant order.  Amounts that must be returned will first be applied to federal loans and then to grants. Loan borrowers will be permitted to repay loans based on the terms of the promissory note.

The student will also be billed for any amount due to Lourdes University resulting from Lourdes University’s return of federal aid funds. For example, if Lourdes University is required to return federal aid which was used to pay a portion of your charges for the enrollment period, you are required to pay Lourdes for the unpaid portion of the charges.

How do I repay unearned funds?
If you owe any money to Lourdes University resulting from the return of federal funds, you will receive a bill from the Lourdes University Student Accounts Office.

For all outstanding charges owed to Lourdes University, you must make payment arrangements with the Student Accounts Office, (419) 824-3696. Loan repayment arrangements may be made by contacting the Direct Loan Servicing Center at 1-800-848-0979.

What happens if I don’t repay?
If you do not repay Lourdes University for the charges resulting from the federal refund policy, your records will be placed on financial hold. This means you will not be permitted to register for classes or receive transcripts until the balance is paid. Outstanding balances due to Lourdes University can also result in collection agency action and negative credit bureau reporting.

Does withdrawing affect my ability to receive financial aid in the future?
To encourage the completion of degree/certificate programs within a reasonable time frame and to comply with federal requirements, financial aid recipients must maintain satisfactory academic progress as a condition for receiving financial aid. Satisfactory academic progress requires financial aid recipients to do the following:

  • Meet minimum cumulative grade point average of at least a 2.0.
  • Meet a minimum completion rate of credit hours attempted.
  • Complete the degree/certificate program before attempting over 150% of the required credit hours for the program.

Financial aid recipients who do not meet these conditions will lose their financial aid eligibility. Therefore, withdrawing may affect the status of your satisfactory academic progress. Please see Lourdes’ Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.