The Lourdes University Department of Education is respected throughout the region for excellence in preparing caring, competent, and qualified educators. The curriculum and experiences of the teacher education program are designed to provide teacher candidates with the education and opportunities needed to be successful teachers.
2015 Education Excellence Awards
23 years of excellence in preparing teachers: Early Childhood (Pre-K–3), Middle Childhood (4–9) and Adolescence to Young Adult (7–12) Education programs.
- Adolescence to Young Adult programs in Math, Integrated Science, Life Science, Integrated Social Studies, and English Language Arts
- Offer State of Ohio Early Childhood Generalist (4–5) Endorsement, Middle Childhood Generalist Endorsement (4–6), and Elementary and High School Religion Teacher Certificate
90% of the 2013-2014 program completers have obtained teaching jobs.
- Our graduates are teaching in school districts, public and parochial, within the state of Ohio and in 23 different states, plus Canada
Exceptional reputation for preparing high quality, value-driven educators.
- Nationally accredited (TEAC, 2010)
- Consistent rating of “Effective,” Ohio’s highest ranking for teacher preparation programs
Teacher candidates will gain over 700 hours of classroom experience during the course of their program.
- Education courses offer additional clinical practice, allowing candidates to "practice" what they learn on campus. Over 4,000 cumulative clinical hours were realized by teacher candidates during the 2014–15 school year
Partnerships with suburban, rural, urban, and international schools offering diverse settings for teaching experiences.
- Field experiences range from one day observations in the first Education course to 15-weeks during student teaching
Opportunities with the Lourdes University Center for Science Education and the Environment, a unique program that provides pre-service teachers opportunities to engage in informal science teaching experiences throughout the community.
Teacher candidates have the opportunity to give back to the community through 40 hours of service learning.
Educational faculty members are “practitioners” with actual teaching and/or administrative experience; our professors are”real-life examples.
Small class sizes allow for a growing sense of “community” among students and faculty with personalized attention.
- Student to Faculty ratio is 12:1
An “engaged and involved” faculty and staff who “take time outside of class” and offer continuous support even after graduation.
Interested in visiting the Lourdes University Department of Education? Contact us!