Laura Ott, Director of Academic Advising
Laura Ott, M.O.L. is the Director of Academic Advising, Recruitment and Assessment and Instructor for the College of Business and Leadership. She graduated Summa Cum Laude from Lourdes College (now Lourdes University) with a Bachelor of Arts in both Business Administration and Human Resource Management as well as a Bachelor of Arts in Art, and a Masters of Organizational Leadership.
Laura began working at Lourdes University in the College of Business and Leadership in 2003 as an academic advisor. Over the years she has taken on many roles, including Internship Coordinator as she advocated for the requirement of an internship in all business programs beginning in 2006 and facilitated the internship program until 2010 and again beginning in 2019. Laura continues to coordinate academic assessment and contributed in large to the self-study which resulted in the 2015 reaccreditation of the College of Business and Leadership Undergraduate programs and new accreditation of both the Master of Business Administration and Master of Organizational Leadership programs. She also led the 2020-2021 reaccreditation self-study.
She has serves on many University committees including the Staff Association Board and the University Assessment Committee.
Laura has been recognized for her commitment to students by the Ohio Academic Advising Association and was presented the 2016 Outstanding Advisor Award. She also was awarded the Lourdes University Staff Excellence Award in both 2009 and 2019.
- Attendee- IACBE National Conference- Orlando, FL (2006), Kansas City, MO (2007), Louisville, KY (2009), Las Vegas, NV (2011), San Diego, CA (2014) Memphis (2016), Virtual (2020, 2021)
- Presenter- IACBE National Conference-“ Integrated Business: A Major for the 21st Century” (2011)
- Presenter- IACBE National Conference- “We Built It and They Stayed-Preparing New and Transfer Students for Success Through a First Semester Course Experience” (2009)
- The Tau -Lourdes University- Artwork accepted for publication (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, & 2018. Cover Art 2015, 2016 & 2018)
- Member- Ohio Academic Advising Association
- Member- National Academic Advising Association
- Member-Kappa Gamma Pi
Awards and Recognitions
- 2019, 2009 Lourdes College Staff Excellence Award winner
- 2016 Ohio Academic Advising Association- Outstanding Advisor Award
- 2013 Nominee- OHAAA outstanding Academic Advisor
- 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2019 Lourdes Staff Excellence Award nominee
BUS 340: Business Internship- Combines classroom knowledge with practical business experience through a minimum of 125 hours on-site experience with a culminating project or paper.
CMP 111: Communication & Search Applications- Introduces MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Excel, and Internet Explorer and their use as communication and search tools. Includes both basic and advanced hands-on applications.
CMP 211: Spreadsheet & Database Applications- Reinforces MS Excel and introduces MS Access and MS Publisher. Uses spreadsheet and database management tools and pagination. Includes both basic and advanced hands-on business applications.
FYE 100: The Lourdes Experience -This is a comprehensive course that assists students in their transition and integration into University life through academic, co-curricular and personal exploration. FYE is an inquiry into the academic expectations, resources, policies, Franciscan values, and traditions of Lourdes University. Through The Lourdes Experience students will be challenged to develop and apply critical thinking and communication skills, help clarify their academic paths for success. This will provide a common experience where new scholars are welcomed into the Lourdes community while addressing personal and academic success strategies, communicating early and often academic expectations, modeling the Lourdes mission, promoting opportunities for co-curricular involvement, and proactively addressing issues and concerns that college students experience on a national level.