Recycling on Campus
In the spirit of St. Francis, Lourdes is committed to preserving resources and protecting our environment. Plastic, glass, cans, paper, and electronic devices can be collected on our campus for recycling -- look for the recycling bins located throughout the campus. Please follow the guidelines below. For questions, contact Becky Alvarado.
- Pop bottles, water bottles (labels OK)
- Unacceptable: No lids, plastic wrap or bags, food containers, tubs or trays, hazardous materials or oil containers
- Brown, green and clear bottles and jars
- Unacceptable: No ceramics, mirrors, window glass or Pyrex-type glass, light bulbs, broken glass
- Aluminum beverage cans, steel, tin, bimetal food cans
- Steel food can lids should remain attached; labels OK
- Unacceptable: No aluminum foil, aerosol or paint cans, cardboard cans such as frozen juice cans
Students: Use the paper recycling bins located throughout campus.
Faculty & staff:
- Office paper: Use mini hanging baskets attached to office waste baskets to discard white, uncoated copy paper (color print is okay).
- Mixed paper: Use the 9x9 cardboard box for all other mixed paper (newspaper, magazines, envelopes, colored paper, etc. -- any paper that is not white office paper). Housekeepers empty mini baskets daily; please empty your cardboard box of mixed paper into the nearest paper recycling bins located throughout campus.
- Shredding: Please shred only documents that are confidential, and necessary to shred. Lourdes pays to shred documents by the pound, and by shredding only necessary documents you will be helping to save costs.
- The battery recycling container for the Lourdes campus is located in the mail room near the Faculty lounge; students may drop off their batteries at the Welcome Center. A container for the Sisters of Saint Francis is located in the mail room in Umbria Hall.
- AAA to D batteries, 9-volt, cell batteries, etc. are accepted. Please tape the ends of 9-volt batteries.
- The recycling bin for ink cartridges and toners is located in the REH Faculty/Staff Conference room. This bin can also be used for old cell phones, ipods, mp3 players, etc. Students may turn in their devices and spent batteries at the Welcome Center.
The following materials are not collected for recycling on campus, but can be taken elsewhere: